13: Honestly, I Don't Care

"I assume Blake has talked to you?" I asked Michelle, who was in the middle of finishing her chocolate cake slice.

"Yeah, he did," she said as she wiped her mouth with the tissue--not the one Jason wrote on. She threw away that one. Poor Jason.

"What did you say to him?" I asked curiously.

She gulped her hot chocolate before answering me. "You're not going to ask me what did he tell me?"

I simply shook my head. "I assume he's talked to you."

"Yeah, he did," I said, starring at the now empty plate. "Few days ago when I was having lunch outside, he approached me and asked about your whereabouts. I said that I didn't know where you were, and he started telling me the reason why he . . . 'broke up with you.'"

She let out an 'oh,' and nodded her head in understanding.

"I called him stupid, and went to my class," I said nonchalantly.

Both of her eyebrows were raised in surprise. "High-five, sister! I said the same thing to him and went away! Be proud that I didn't physically harm him again."

"High-five!" I said as our hands slapped each other. She moved on quite fast; how could she do it?

"I could protect myself," she said as she starred at her now half-empty cup. "That's a stupid reason to break up with someone. Even if he's telling the truth, he's so stupid to believe her. How harmful can Amanda be? She's harmless as a tiny little ant."

I looked at my fingers as I muttered a small 'yeah.'

She has no idea how dangerous Amanda is. She always gets what she wants.

I suddenly felt sadness and regret wave upon me once again-- a feeling I've been trying to ignore for years.

I gulped down my now cold chocolate and got up to the cashier to pay for the bills.

"Wait up, An! Where are you going?" Michelle asked, standing up beside me. "Are you alright?"

I looked at her worried expression and gave her a half smile. "I'm going to pay for the drinks and cake."

"No," she said, pushing my wallet back to my bag. "I'm paying. I'm paying for the things I've done to you, like ignoring you, not listening to you, and etc."

I sighed as she smiled triumphantly, "You didn't have to, but thank you." I followed her to the cashier.

There was no one on the counter, so she rang the small bell that was placed over there.

Moments after she rang the bell, guess who came?

Yes, it was Jason. His eyes went wide opened when he saw Michelle, but then he calmed down and gave her a smile.

"What can I help you, gorgeous?" he asked with a small smirk on his face.

Instead of giggling like she usually does when a cute guy flirts with her, she just gave him a small smile and politely answered him. "I'd like to pay."

"Alright," he said, giving her a grin. "It'll be $27.50."

As she gave him the money, he suddenly leaned onto her ear and whispered something.

I'm not sure if he said anything bad or good, because Michelle's face is neutral, and Jason has a small smirk formed on his lips.

Soon, she whispered back at him, and his smirk was gone. His eyes widened for a few seconds and he nodded his head and mouthed something at her.