19: I Don't Know You At All

"What's wrong?" he asked, turning to me as the car stopped at the red light. The words didn't come out harsh or sarcastic, but it was soft, almost like he was worried.

Soon, the song on the radio changed, and it was playing Blink-182's I Miss You. He was into these sorts of songs.

"No, it's nothing," I quickly said, looking at the opposite side of the car, slowly taking deep breaths.

I was thankful that he didn't bother to inquire me even further.

I looked away and closed my eyes for a moment. No, he can't be. Of course, he's not him. He's never coming back.

The drive was very peaceful– aside from the radio– and I was calming down.

I wasn't sure what has come to me. It was supposed to only last a few weeks after that. I haven't had it for quite a while.

Maybe it's just a short relapse. That could happen. I'm sure it'll be gone soon.

"Are you sure you're all right?" he slowly asked once again, and this time I looked at him and nodded.

"Positive," I said, unusually giving him a small smile.

He looked at me for a moment with an unsure look on his face before turning away. Silence filled in once again as he turned the steering wheel.

"You know," he began as he drove, "I've only known you for awhile, but I know that it's worrisome if you reply with no humour or sarcasm."

Unknowingly, that made me crack a tiny but genuine smile. "You've only known me for awhile, and you don't exactly know me. I could be serious and all honest too, you know."

I looked away and stared at the right side of the window next to me. We were already nearing my neighborhood.

"You're right," he said. "I don't know you at all."

I looked at the sky in sadness. This conversation actually made me feel better, I think. I'm still taking deep breaths once in a while, but it's getting better.

"What do you honestly think of the play we'll be having?" I abruptly asked, spitting out what was in my mind and changing the topic.

"After knowing I was selected for the main character along with you," he said, or more like questioned. "I was surprised since I was the new kid and all that. But I was selected to do it, and for the sake of my high school credit, I agreed."

"I agree with the high school credit thing," I said while in my mind I couldn't believe that I actually agreed to something with him. "The plot was also rather interesting. I wonder who came up with that idea."

He hummed in agreement, and soon we made a stop in front of my house. I saw a familiar car parked in front of the house, which meant that maybe my mom was home.

"Uh," I started to say, "thanks for the ride and for the time today."

He just shrugged. "You're welcome."

I got out of the car, shut the door, and watched him drove off before entering my house.

I took out the key from my bag, and unlock the door. That's where I realized that it wasn't locked. One of my dear brothers must have forgotten to lock it.

I held onto the dark colored handle to open the door and heard something that sounded like somebody was scurrying. My eyes landed onto Ashton, who was on the couch and seemed to be very interested in the magazine he was holding.