Chapter Thirteen

"Please don't sedate me, it terrifies me that I might never wake up," I beg, my eyes wide with fear.

The doctor sighs in defeat. "Very well, at least let me give you an anesthetic so you don't feel any pain."

"Fine, but if it's actually a sedative, I am going to kill you when I wake up," I spit, giving him a warning glare.

His eyes widen and he glances at Daniel who just shrugs with a small shake of his head. I reluctantly lay down, taking a deep breath. I feel a small pinch in the side of my neck followed by a firm pressure. A tingling spreads over my body until I can't feel anything below my neck.

"According to my scan, you have four trackers. One in your neck, in your wrist, in your foot, and then the last one is in your hip," the doctor says.

My eyes widen. "They really didn't want to lose me," I say, making Daniel chuckle.

"They just really liked having you around."

I throw him an annoyed glance but say nothing more.

My heart pounds in my ears. The feeling I experience when he starts cutting my skin is so strange; I swear there's a slight pressure where the blade is but absolutely no pain.

After a few seconds, he starts to toss bloody trackers into a metal bowl. He does it quickly, sewing up each wound with a few stitches. But then he pauses at my hip.

"This tracker is in your bone so I'm warning you now that there is a chance you'll be able to feel this. It is unlikely but let me know if it starts to hurt," he tells me in a firm voice.

There's an icy tingling creeping up my spine and I look to Daniel when panic grips my throat. He slides his hand into mine and squeezes, but I hardly notice it. My gaze is focused completely on the doctor until Daniel leans over me.

"Just look at me, okay? Don't worry about what he's doing," he says.

My breath stops in my chest at the harsh whirring of a drill. "What the hell are you doing?" I demand.

"Relax I'm just removing the filling that covers the tracker," the doctor says.

"You okay?" Daniel asks.

"I'm scared," I admit, my breathing rate increasing sharply at the faint smell of something burning.

"I promise you're going to be fine," he says, giving my hand a light squeeze.

Searing pain shoots through my hip and I gasp, my eyes watering as I clench my fists. "What the fuck is that?" I wheeze, waves of agony slamming through my entire body.

"I tried to take the tracker out but it's fused to your bone, it flashed as soon as I touched it."

I can feel tears running down my cheeks as I grit my teeth and try to ignore the pain, but it continues to worsen.

Daniel disappears from view for a moment then I hear him swear loudly. "I think it's a hook tracker," he mutters.

"A what?" I ask, wincing sharply and squeezing my eyes shut.

"We talked about them a little in the history class. They were used to keep track of criminals that were marked as dangerous, but they aren't supposed to be in use anymore. If you tried to remove it, it would send out a signal that your body interpreted as pain that would get worse the more you moved it," he growls.

"So this one will have to stay in then," the doctor sighs.

I clench my jaw tighter, groaning a little when the pain finally starts to subside.

"I need to put filling back in above the tracker, otherwise you're going to have a hole in your hip bone," the doctor tells me.

"Fine," I murmur before turning my gaze towards Daniel. "The Council will know that we tried to take it out."

He ran his hand through his hair. "They're probably already on their way here."

***

"This isn't safe, I can't believe they're letting you stay out here," Diana mutters, shaking her head in disbelief.

"They're using me as bait. And to be fair, Daniel didn't want to let me out here, but I convinced him that it's the best way to capture an angel and figure out why they want me so badly."

"This is stupid," she mutters under her breath.

I roll my eyes and look back down at our chess board. I move my rook, smiling when she curses. "How is it stupid?" I ask.

She snorts. "Playing chess in the middle of a clearing and waiting for guard angels to show up is a very stupid idea," she hisses, moving her piece.

"Hey, we needed a way to pass the time and the only board game in that house is chess."

"It's still stupid!"

I look around at the dozens of warriors waiting at the edge of the forest, crossbows aimed at the sky. "I think it's a pretty good idea and that you're just pissed because I'm beating you at chess." I shrug.

She rolls her eyes at me. "You aren't beating me, I have way more of your pieces than you have of mine," she scoffs.

"Sure, whatever makes you happy."

"Wait—what? What the hell are you talking about—I'm obviously beating you! The game is clearly in my favor!" She rattles off but I stay quiet.

She moves one of her pieces and I sit back with a smirk. Gotcha.

A sudden whistling sound has all eyes glued to the sky. Several dots appear above us, circling around each other as they dive. They grow larger and clearer until we can see that there are three dark angels and two light—all with shimmering golden wings.

The warriors release their arrows all at once, the sharp clicks echoing through the clearing.

The arrows hit the angels' wings earning harsh cries of pain in return. The wolves give the ropes attached to the arrows a solid yank and the wings of all five angels collapse. They plummet towards the ground, letting out horrible screams.

I move my queen, my smirk turning into a full grin as they hit the dirt around us.

"Check mate."