Chapter Twenty

"Luci stay here," my mother sighed, pushing me down onto the couch.

I frowned, huffing angrily. "I don't wanna stay here!"

My father walked over with a look of exasperation on his face. "Why not?" He asked gently.

"Because it's awful! I'm here all alone, someone might find me and—what if you guys don't come back?" I whimpered, tugging at my shirt.

My father pulled me into a quick hug and kissed the top of my head. "I know it's difficult Luci but they're expecting us. We need to go so they don't find you. You needn't be afraid, you are more powerful than any of their angels."

My shoulders slumped in defeat. "Fine, I'll stay in the house," I mumbled.

"Thank you, now we should be back in a few hours but we might take longer. Just remember, do not leave the house under any circumstances," he said firmly.

I nodded. I looked down at the floor, only glancing up when I heard the front door lock with a loud click.

I stood and found myself walking to my bedroom. It was tiny, but so was the rest of the house—even my parents' room was barely big enough to fit a bed and dresser.

From inside my closet, I dragged out a heavy wooden chest. I fished for the key in the pocket of my jeans and stuck it into the lock, turning it to the right.

Inside the chest were dozens of random items; all of them extremely valuable to me in some way. It was a collection of all the things I didn't want my parents to find—they'd murder me if they found out I've been sneaking out when they leave. It took me a few minutes, but I still managed to find my dagger at the bottom.

I winced at the resonating bang it made when I dropped the lid. I locked it again and heaved it back into my closet.

I meandered back into the living room, staring at the beautiful knife in my hand. The blade was engraved with elegant designs and the handle was encrusted with precious stones.

It was perfectly balanced and so light in my hand, like it was made for me. 

'But it wasn't made for you,' a small voice in the back of my mind crowed.

I winced. A few weeks ago, on a day like this one where my mother and father left, I disobeyed them.

I spotted it through the window, laying in the grass. I had left the house to get it. I was so excited about the lovely knife that I ran straight back home and hid it in my chest and didn't tell my parents anything about it.

I wasn't sure what would happen if my parents found it and asked me where I came across it; so I only took it out when they left.

I plopped down on the couch, twirling the dagger around in my hands, admiring every intricate detail. The blade was so sharp, I barely touched it and my finger stung and bled.

My gaze traveled upward to the wooden shutters covering the window. As I glanced back at the knife, an idea entered my mind.

Grinning, I stood up and positioned myself directly across from it. I planted my feet and narrowed my eyes at my target like I'd seen my father do hundreds of times.

I took a deep breath, wound back my arm, and threw the knife as hard as I could. I watched with dejection as it bounced off the wall and clattered to the floor, not even hitting within a few inches of the wooden shutters.

I swore loudly and stomped my foot. "That was awful," I muttered.

I slowly trudged over to pick it up off the floor. Then I started again.

***

The dagger bounced off the shutters once again making me groan in frustration. My hands clenched into fists and I grit my teeth.

Just as I was picking it up, a strong wind whistled around the house and violently rattled the shutters.

I cursed under my breath and rushed to put the dagger away. The front door opened just as I slammed the chest lid shut. I quickly locked it and pushed it into my closet, blowing out a relieved breath. 

My parents were conversing heatedly in the living room, their heads lowered. They went silent when they spotted me.

"Luci are you alright?" My mother asked.

"Yeah, I'm fine, why?" I replied, looking at her anxious face with confusion.

"We have to leave right now," my father said.

"What!" I panicked.

He growled under his breath. "They know about you Luci, we need to leave before they find us."

I nodded numbly. My mind was buzzing with a million questions but the urgent look on my parents' faces told me to keep my mouth shut.

"Just fill your backpack with clothes and whatever else you want to bring, we won't be coming back."

My heart was pounding in my chest the entire time I did as I was told. I packed a few items from my chest, including the dagger, and as many pairs of shirts and pants as I could.

When I returned to the living room, my parents glanced at me then stared fearfully at each other. They both carried large backpacks in their hands.

"Let's go. We want to be past the valley before it gets dark," my mother said. Her voice was surprisingly calm.

I nodded and followed them out the door. Immediately, my parents unfurled their massive wings.

I released my own, but then glanced back. I bit my lip as I looked over the house I was born in.

My gaze wandered to the grassy fields surrounding it and a wave of nostalgia crashed over me. I learned to walk here. I learned to fly here. I grew up here.

"This is our home," I muttered aloud, tears starting to stream down my face.

My mother was suddenly in front of me, holding my face in her hands. Her eyes were filled with a mixture of sympathy and anxiety.

"Luciana, we are all going to miss this place. But right now, we really need to go or we are going to be in serious trouble. I need you to be strong right now, you understand?" she whispered.

I clenched my jaw, swallowed hard, then nodded. She smiled sadly and kissed my forehead before hurriedly pulling me towards my father. "We can come back someday, I promise."

They both spread their wings and rose high into the sky. I sucked in a shaky breath before following them.

"Luciana!" A faint yell sounded behind me.

I paused and turned. There was no one there. My eyes searched the vacant fields with confusion when I heard my name called again.

"Luciana please wake up!" It was distant and quiet, but the voice was definitely male. And very familiar.

I searched the fields again, my mind swimming with confusion. When I still didn't find anyone, I turned away with a sigh; I left the faded voice behind and followed my parents into the sky.