Chapter Seventeen

"How could you lie to us about something like that? To me, your best friend, and Daniel, your mate?"

"Because how the fuck do you tell someone something like that? Oh—hey, by the way, I just thought you should know that with my wings, I can kill you just by snapping my fucking fingers!" I spit, my voice dripping with sarcasm.

Diana's eyes soften slightly, but Daniel is still glaring at me through cold eyes. "That's no excuse for not telling me about something so potentially lethal!" he growls.

"I never thought I'd be able to do it again! I haven't had wings in almost ten years!" I snap. "You don't see me getting pissed because I don't know either of your abilities despite the fact that you've been fully capable of using them for the entire time I've known you!"

He clenches his jaw and I can see his resolve start to falter. "It's not the same—"

"It's exactly the same! For all I know you could have the ability to wipe out the Earth―and Diana too!" I shoot back. "For all I knew you could have been able to kill me this entire time!"

He shakes his head. "It's not the same Luciana," he repeats.

"How?" I ask, but he just shakes his head and remains silent. Frustration fills me. "How Daniel?"

"I don't have any abilities!" He snarls, running a hand through his hair. "I have nothing to hide."

My eyes widen and I fall back slightly. I clench my jaw. "It doesn't matter whether or not you have an ability, if you expected me to tell you my secret, then you should've been willing to tell me yours too," I say.

He growls before vanishing in the clouds.

I let out a heavy breath before turning onto my back to float on the air currents. A slight breeze makes me look up at Diana, gliding above me.

"I think he's more upset that you lied about why the Council took your wings. I know I am," she says. Her voice doesn't sound angry at all though, rather it's perfectly calm.

"Why though? I don't understand how it's that big of deal."

"It's part of the reason we first became friends. We were all persecuted by the Council because we were hybrids or mutations. To find out it was a lie? It's a little disheartening. Plus, you clearly don't think of us as that close or you would have told us from the start."

"Diana, you have to understand, I never had friends before you two. I grew up completely isolated and was never able to get along with anyone at the Academy. I'm so used to lying about everything because the Council told me to. They didn't want anyone to find out that they were afraid of a child."

"God I hate them, they're just pathetic assholes," she grumbles making me smile a little.

I close my eyes, savoring the feeling of being in the sky again. Each beat of my wings lulls me further into unconsciousness, until I slip completely into darkness.

***

"Mommy! Look what I can do!" I shouted, twirling my fingers. The boy spun around making the girl next to him giggle.

My mother hurried over, my father just behind her. They stood beside me at the top of the hill under the cover of a large oak tree.

At the bottom of the valley were two children—siblings. The boy was looking around in wild confusion while his sister laughed.

"Watch," I told my parents. I moved my hand to the side, lifted it, then twirled my fingers. The boy sprinted, leapt into the air, then spun around, making his sister clap her hands and laugh.

I looked over at my mother who was staring at me with wide eyes.

"Luci are you making the boy do that?" My father asked.

I nodded. "It's so cool! I can make his sister happy, he was being so mean to her before," I explained.

His face turned hard and my smile fell. "What's wrong daddy?"

"Luciana you cannot do that again. Controlling other people is extremely dangerous," he growled.

I stepped back in fear at the firm tone of his voice. "What?" I murmured in confusion.

"Luci, this isn't okay," my mother said, urgency in her voice.

My fear turned to anger. "But I'm making people happy! The boy was hurting her and because of me she's laughing now!"

"It doesn't matter Luci, what if you had hurt him? Someone would come looking for you," my father warned.

I clenched my fists and stomped my foot. "I wasn't hurting him!" I yelled, throwing my fists down in frustration.

A harsh scream hit my ears and I whirled around.

The girl was staring at the boy who was on the ground. His eyes were staring straight into the sky and his body laid unmoving, his limbs splayed out at awkward angles. The girl's eyes were filled with tears as she ran towards her house. She screamed for her mother, her voice full of terror.

My hands flew to cover my mouth and I collapsed onto my knees. "Oh my god," I gasped, tears streaming down my face. "I'm so sorry!"

My father looked over the scene with blank eyes, his face completely expressionless.

"Luciana, this is why you can't use it―it's dangerous. Only if we give you permission can you use it, do you understand?" My mother said firmly, kneeling down beside me.

I nodded quickly, trying to wipe away the tears but they kept coming. She pulled me into her lap and hugged me tightly, my head against her chest. She kissed my forehead and shushed me softly.

My father knelt down beside us and brushed my tears away with his thumb. His eyes were distant as he looked over me, his jaw clenched. "It's okay Luci, we all make mistakes."