It Falls on You

"I should answer it." I said quietly.

   "You can't be serious." Roman said scoffing.

And I know he was right but I just knew something was off. It was late. Cali wouldn't call me this late unless..."My mom." I stood at once ignoring Roman and the fact that I was naked and grabbed my phone from his nightstand. I answered.

  "Cali?" I asked impatiently.
"It's mom." She said broken. "I...I need you Keri. I can't"- the line was interrupted with her sobbing. "I'm coming." I said feeling myself go into overdrive. I ignored the stiffness of my muscles and found Romans shirt.
He stood in the doorway watching me with cautious eyes. He thought I was going to run.
  "Can you..." I swallowed. "Can you come with me?" I asked allowing my vulnerability to show. He seemed taken back but he nodded nonetheless and began to find something to wear. "Of course." I walked out of his room and went down the hall to mine finding something less revealing to wear. I decided on a pair of leggings and a sweater and a regular pair of riding boots. When I turned Roman was in the doorway with his keys.
  "Ready?" I nodded.
He drove to the hospital closest to my home. I was out of the door before he could even turn the car off. He easily caught up to me and when I reached the receptionist I couldn't even speak.
  "We're here for Madison..." He trailed
off. "Last name Madison." He looked at me. "Babe. What's your mom's name?"
I snapped my attention back to him. "Carolina Madison." The receptionist nodded and began typing away.
"They're waiting on the doctors right over there." She said pointing to the hall where I was my dad speaking to a doctor.
"Thank you." I said as I found Roman's hand and walked toward them.
"Dad?" He turned to face me and took me into his arms.
"Hey Chimp." I smiled.
"What happened? A flare up?" He shook his head. And I noticed the cut on his on head.
"What happened?" I demanded.
"Cali snuck out and went to some party. She called us sounding pretty messed up so went to get her..." He groaned. "The son of a bitch came from out of no where."
"Where is she?" I demanded.
"No Keri. This isn't her fault." He said frowning.
I turned to find the doctor. "Excuse me. My dad hurt his head in the accident. I'm sure he didn't tell you that because he wants full attention on my mom but if you could?" He looked at my father and saw the scratch before nodding.
"I'll take a look at that."
My dad finally took the time to notice Roman behind me. He smiled. "Is this your mate?" I nodded.
"Roman this is my father Klay."
They shook hands but my father had to go get his head checked out. I was angry.
"Hey," he Roman said grabbing my chin. "Don't be angry with her."
I sighed. "I can't help it. She's so selfish. She never thinks about anything. She doesn't think of anyone else but herself."
"That's rich coming from the bitch that stole my boyfriend." I turned around to face Cali.
"Do not test me today Cali." I said stepping toward her.
"I'm not scared of you Kara." She bit out.
"Yeah but you should be." I spat. Roman grabbed my arm and pulled me back into him.
"Neither one of you need to be fighting right now. Both of your parents need you."
"Our parents?" Cali scoffed. "Yeah right."
"Then why call me Cali?" I snapped. "He's my mate." I said simply with my voice cracking. "I never wanted to hurt you and I hurt him trying to protect you." I admitted feeling myself break. "I didn't ask for any of this but you blame me time after time again and I am so sick of it. Im so sick of you."
She was looking at me but she wasn't focusing. I stood. "Were you in the car?"
She frowned. "Yeah why?" I felt her head with my hand. She was ice cold. I put my hand in the back of her head and looked at it. It was covered in blood.
"Were you drinking?" I asked trying to distract her.
"Yeah but what does that have to do with anything?"
"Walk with me?" I asked eyeing Roman. He nodded and walked to find a nurse. I didn't want to freak Cali out because I knew once she knew she was hurt she feel all the pain of the accident. Her body was in shock right now. The doctor came around the corner with his staff and a gurney.
"Okay I want you to relax okay?" Her eyes widened.
"What?" She asked panicking. "You hit your head in the accident," she reached for it. I grabbed her hand and shook my head. "It's just a little blood. They're just gonna check it out okay?" She nodded calming herself.