Our People

I stood in front of the full length mirror and smiled. This was the day. I was going to be introduced to the pack today, and tonight, I would join as their Luna. The woman in the mirror was someone I recognized. She was strong, she was a leader, she was amazing. My wolf stood with pride. I was wearing a flawless white gown that covered my bare feet. I was wearing nothing under it. I was naked, and in a way, afraid. This was a lifelong commitment. I wouldn't be able to run from it. I was giving my life to these people, the very people I've run from my entire life. 

This is what I wanted. This is who I was born to be. 

 "You look amazing." I turned to face Blake and I smiled. 

"Thank you." I said smiling. "I'm nervous."I admitted to him. 

"Why?" he asked standing against the wall. 

"I just want to be great at it, for them, for Regan, and for Roman too."

Blake looked at me like I was idiot. "Roman would love you even if you were a shit Luna, but Kare, you don't become a Luna today...you've been one your entire life. You would've been one with your alpha mate. You don't have to try to live up to him, you just do. You're his equal, but better." he said scoffing. "Because you're a girl a what not, and you guys basically win at life." I laughed and smiled at him gratefully.

"What about Regan? He's a great Alpha, his people adore him."

"Yeah so what, he's great. Mighty good looking, I see where you got that nose from," he joked. "But he isn't the sun. You are Kare." I nodded and walked toward him before embracing him in a huge hug. 

"I am so proud of you." he said holding me at arms' length. "You're everything. Roman is the luckiest guy in the world because you are a light worth shining. You're pure and kind, your people will love you, because when people meet you, they have no choice." I nodded. 

"I can do this." I said to myself. 

"You've been doing it." he said. "You just didn't know it." 

"I could never find a friend like you." 

"Don't tell me you've been looking?" he scoffed as he took my arm in his and we walked out of the room. 

"Thanks for getting her, but I'm here now." I looked up to see Roman standing with his arm out. He looked a little too smug to be taking me from Blake, but at least he wasn't being his usual rude self. Blake nodded in understanding and passed me to Roman. 

"I'll see you there." he said smiling. "I'll be the one in white."

"Are you daft?" Roman asked seriously. "Every one will be wearing white."

"It's a joke. Haven't you ever heard of one?" Blake retorted arching his eyebrow. 

I rolled my eyes as Roman growled. "Don't test me mutt."

"My apologizes, Alpha." Blake said smirking as he went to walk away.

"Your friend is disrespectful."

"And you're used to being a bully. Yes, Blake is prideful, but he also shares Alpha blood. He's not going to let you talk to him any kind of way. In a way you should respect it. Hes' only giving to you what you to give to him and that's attitude." 

"Yeah but he's not a pure alpha." he said standing tall. I frowned. 

"And neither am I." I spat back. 

"I didn't mean to offend you"-

"You know you can be kind of mean sometimes Roman." I said cutting him off. He walked me down to the courtyard where everyone was. I walked past the aisles full of men, women and children and I smiled as I passed. Everyone seemed happy to see me, happy for their alpha. I walked past Roman's parents and smiled as I hugged each of them. I had gotten closer to Roman's mother in the past weeks and it was refreshing to hear how to become a good Luna from the former one. 

"You look amazing dear." she said looking at me in awe. 

"Thank you. You do as well." She smiled pleasantly as I took my place next to Roman in the circular alter in front of us. 

 The rest was a blur. I stayed silent while the officiant spoke and repeated words when it was appropriate and when it was time, I sliced my palm with the traditional blade. I watched as Roman did the same and he smiled at me as he put his palm out to me. I took his hand eagerly and returned his smile. He gripped my hand tightly and I felt myself transforming. My blood boiled and suddenly I was invaded with thoughts.

Is she okay

She's so pretty 

Look how Alpha's looking at her

Luna! Luna! Look at me!

My head was spinning with the thoughts of the people in the pack. 

I froze when I heard his voice, Concentrate on it being quiet. I turned to face Roman and he was looking at me expectantly. 

Are they mind linking?

I concentrated on it being extremely quiet and I felt a "wall" going up and then it was just me again. I turned to him happy at my accomplishment. He smiled down at me with pride and it made my heart swell. He grabbed my hand and intertwined it before he raised the both over our heads, and we faced our people.