The Tale of Four Sisters

"You can start when you're ready."Cynn urged. When I'm ready? I didn't think I would ever be ready. I rubbed my belly and faced Roman. I had to do this...for my family...for my pack. 

I reached for Roman. I turned toward him. "I'll go first." I swallowed knowing that the truth in what I was going to say was going to hurt Roman. I started to tear up, some of my tears from pain...others from anger. 

"I sometimes wish I would've rejected you because of Cali. We were...perfect sisters...until she told me about you. Since I met you...I've hated her and I blame you for that...I blame everyone for feeling like I had to sacrifice my sister to finally feel what real love felt like."

The wind was wild. There was a whirlwind of air surrounding us like a blanket of chaotic dust. I was starting to worry, but the withes were chanting- they were channeling us...the emotion of our truth was powering the portal. 

"I don't want a baby!" I stared at Roman with wide eyes. My heart stilled. I opened my mouth but no words would come out. "I...I feel so weak. Since  you told me, I've felt like everything is out of my control. I'm...used to doing whatever I want and not having anything to lose but my life...but now I have two other lives, lives that mean way more to me than my own, what if I can't protect my own family like I protect my pack's."

 I didn't have time to process Roman's confession before the light around us changed and we were now in the foyer of a dark mansion. 

"Home Alas,"Cynn smiled. "I know you have questions." she began walking through the dark space, filling it with light as she passed. "I intend to answer them." she lead us to a dining table filled with food. I smiled at the moist-looking turkey, the fresh produce in the salad, pasta, pottoes...it was like Thanksgiving. 

"But first, we have a Prince to feed." she said smiling at me. I smiled in confusion until I realized what she meant. 

"The baby?" I asked in shock. She nodded, gesturing me to sit. 

"A boy." Three young girls in pale blue dresses came from the one way door to the right of the floor. They radiated an essence of youth and innocence, but there was no mistaking to power of their magic. They began to serve food as other witches of the coven began to enter and derobe themselves. 

"Do not be rude." Cynn snapped at the girls with the tone of a mother. She must be in charge. The girls spoke in a uniform fashion, curtseying before sitting in their chairs simultaneously and turning their legs to the right. "I'm the Superior." she said everything with a smile. As if she could read my mind and I was just late to the party in her own mind. 

"I can...and you are late, by three years." She frowned. "You were not supposed to leave, yet you ignore every sign of fate." She showed me her arm, it bore the same birth mark as mine. I furrowed my brow. 

"Your mother...Rave. She was born to a family of witches. Back in the day, witches and wolves hated each other almost as much as they hate vampires." she laughed pointing to Roman. His face was still blank since our entrance. "They used to hunt werewolves. My family...was quite known for it. Your mother, was one of four sisters. She, being the youngest. My mom was the second youngest; The eldest, Lucina was the previous Superior of the coven..." she went silent. "She has passed on now to the Goddess of Light." 

"May she rest and rebirth." the girls chanted. They held onto every word as if they had heard it a bunch of times but still request it every night. 

"The middle child...Irene." She swallowed. "She hated werewolves more than the rest. My mom...my mom was killed by rogue wolves. They had just been defeated by...by your pack- under your dad's reign," she gestured to Roman yet again. " Your mom fell for a wolf. She was always in those woods. My mom went looking for her one day. She went alone, so Rave would not get in trouble. They were attacked together. My mom didn't make it, but your mom"-

"She was bitten." 

She nodded. 

"And the wolf she fell for? The reason...the reason they were in the woods."

"Your father."

I frowned. I felt like a ton of bricks had hit me. My parents' love was the reason her mom was dead...

"Lucina made a deal with a dark witch. She wanted...she wanted to end the mate bond of two wolves. She intended it for Roman's parents but when word got back that Sienna had been killed and Rave was now transitioning...she asked the witch for a potion that would not only destroy the bond between two mates, but it would make also make them exempt from fining pure mates...they would never be able to continue their bloodline again. Which made you...very powerful. The blood, the bond that made you...is rare. You were breeded by true love...love before mateship. That potion- the curse is the reason your father's new mate is barren and why Rave found love only after you."

"So..."

"Lucina..." Roman spoke. "The dark witch she made the deal with?"

"Queen Devri La Fawn" she spoke. "She eventually left home. Once Rave transitioned, my family's interest dwindled as the fear of losing another daughter grew, little did they know...that would only cause them to lose another."

A girl from the table stood. "I am Sahara the daughter of Lucina. I grew up  with her. She studied under Queen Devri for years until one day she overpowered by a protection spell. She was protecting a vampire coven during one of the "Cold Wars". Since, then my mom had ruled The Opulent. 

"The Opulent?"

"It's who keeps bothering you."

"She wants revenge...on everyone, but more than that...she wants her sisters back."

"Your mom." Roman answered. She nodded. 

"But we can't let her."

"Why wouldn't you want her back?" her face turned to stone. She was offended. She face turned to a snarl but it was quickly gone as it came. 

"I want her back as I breathe and speak, but I believe in the balance of nature...they have been sent to rest- it was a part of fate. Lucina believes in recreating fate. It is a dangerous magic and can only be used with great sacrifice...the kind that is immoral!"

"What does she have to do?"

She stared me into my eyes for so long I felt I would melt into literal chocolate. Sahara spoke, "In order for her to complete the resurrection spell for Siena and Irene she must sacrifice the product of True Magic."

"Not only are you the daughter of a witch and alpha, but your mate is as well. You are the only ones of your kind." Cynn spoke.

"How did you know my baby was a Prince?"

"Lucina told me." Sahara said. I looked around the room as I stood guarding my belly. 

"She wants my baby." I said. 

"No." Roman said standing by my side. "She needs our baby's blood."