Christmas Day And Mistletoe

Scarlett Johnson

"Scarlett, Shawn wake up! It's Christmas!"

  Aaliyah called from the hallway, I rolled over in bed and my eyes landed on my alarm clock, 6:00am, I sighed and sat up from my mattress.

  I was silently praying for a Christmas miracle, all I wanted was for Manuel to be home, I hated to see Shawn hurt.

  So full of hope, I descended the stairs and ended up in the living room to see my Mom sitting on the couch, with a cup of coffee in hand.

  I noticed Manuel sitting on the recliner chair in the corner of the room, and Aaliyah was sitting on his lap.

"Hey Scar, where's Shawn?"

  My Mom questioned, my mood lightened up instantly at the sight of Manuel.

"Dad?"

  I heard Shawn ask from behind me, I turned around to see Shawn with the most surprised look on his face, Manuel stood from the couch.

  It had felt like forever since he had been home, but it had only been a few days.

  Shawn quickly crossed the room and embraced Manuel in a tight hug.

"I'm so glad you're here."

  Shawn whispered, I could see Manuel smiling over Shawn's shoulder.

"Me too..."

  Manuel whispered back, I looked to my Mom, she had an uneasy look across her face, I could tell things were still rough between the two.

  Once Shawn pulled back he took a step back towards me and draped an arm across my shoulders.

  Manuel didn't seem surprised by it and took a seat back on his chair, it didn't take too long for Aaliyah to shove a present into mine and Shawn's hands.

We both took a seat on the living room floor and opened present after present, but none compared to all of us being together as a family, well together at the most.

  Every now and then I would catch my Mom and Manuel making awkward eye contact, I eventually ignored it and watched Shawn's eyes light up even brighter with every gift.

I had completely forgotten about the gift I had gotten Shawn a few weeks back, I quickly stood from the floor and disappeared up to my room without Shawn noticing.

  I got on my hands and knees once up to my room and shuffled through some things under my bed.

   I eventually found the little green box, and pulled it out.

  With a huge grin on my face I walked down the hall and headed for the stairs, but to my surprise Shawn was at the bottom of the stairs waiting for me.

"Hey."

  I said with a smile, he grinned back his eyes suddenly drifted upward, I looked up moments later.

  A mistletoe had been hung above me on the ceiling and I knew he had put it there himself.

My eyes widened at the sight, but that didn't stop Shawn from coming up the stairs, once to me he leaned in for a short kiss.

  Once he pulled back, I handed him the little box, and he took it gently from my hands.

"We should keep that up all year."

He whispered, I giggled and his attention was drawn to the box.

After he had pulled the lid off he pulled out the guitar pick I had customized for him, across it, it read:

Princess+Mendes=Forever.

  Shawn's eyes brightened up and he looked down at me, he pulled me close and kissed my lips gently.

"Merry Christmas Mendes..."

  I whispered, he laughed and pulled me closer.

"Merry Christmas princess..."

  He whispered back which led me to giggle, and he kissed me once more.

  After the two of us headed back to the living room, the smell of gingerbread in the air, the fireplace crackling softly.