Part 8

I quickly wiped any emotion out my eyes before responding, "I'm not, it's- it's nothing."
I then walked down the stairs, not even looking to see who asked because I really didn't want to start my first day here looking like a crybaby.

"Usually when one cries, it means something; sadness, happiness, fear-"

"Happiness, its happiness." I lied, cutting off the man before turning to see who it was; Eugene I think, "I'm just happy that I'm here."

He nodded before holding out his hand, "My name is Eugene, Eugene Porter, incase you forgot."

I smiled at his obvious quirks as I shook his hand, "I'm-"

"Elizabeth Ward-- but you prefer to be addressed as Liz." He said, cutting me off.

I laughed, "Uh, yeah."

"Where are you going?" He asked.

"To Olivia's house," I pointed in the direction Deanna said, "I'm gonna be helping her with inventory."

"May I walk with you there?"

"Sure," I smiled, "I might get lost anyway."

"I can assure you that will not happen when you're with me." He informed as we both began walking.

"Ok, I trust you." I chuckled.

***

When we reached Olivia's house, she and Deanna were already standing outside with the garage door open.

"Oh, Liz!" Deanna smiled, "Olivia and I were just talking about you; we should be having a load of supplies coming in any minute, do you mind going down to the gate and helping them haul it over?"

"Uh yeah, sure." I nodded, taking this first opportunity to make a good impression.

"And then when you come back, I can show you how we keep track of everything that comes in." Olivia smiled, holding up a clipboard.

"Sounds good; thanks for walking me over, Eugene." I said before making my way back to where the gate was.

"My pleasure, Liz." He nodded.

I couldn't stop thinking about how incredibly lucky I was to have been saved by Rick. Anyone else probably wouldn't have given me a second look and just let the dead- the walkers end me.
Now, not only am I alive, but I'm safe. I'm in an actual town with houses, and people, and families.. it's like a dream.

I soon saw the gate in the distance being opened up, followed by a loud rumble of a motorcycle and car being driven in.
The engine was cut before Rick began talking to the man on the bike, they're conversation barely audible as I continued in their direction.

"No, no way she's comin' with me!" I heard the man yell as I walked closer.

"She knows what she's doing, Daryl-"

"We don't know her- we don't know this girl, Rick!" He protested, "And I'm not puttin' my ass on the line again."

"Listen-" Rick began to say before I got close enough to where he noticed me, "Liz, I'm sorry-"

"No, no it's ok," I chuckled, "You're Daryl, right?" I pointed at the man sitting on the motorcycle, his harsh gaze being unbreakable, "Don't worry," I said looking over to Rick, "I like working alone; I'm sure this piece of shit draws every walker in a 5 mile radius anyway."

I watched as Daryl's jawline harshened at my remark about his bike before he quickly started it again, loudly revving it before riding down the road towards another house.

I heard Rick sigh as the noise level went down, "He's usually not like this.. we've all been through a lot recently-"

"Yeah, your son informed me of that." I said cutting him off before walking over to the car that had a small amount of supplies in it.

"Carl?" He asked, "What did he say to you?"

"You know, just the basic things," I shrugged, "First he told me to get out of your house and then informed me that I wasn't fooling him."

He sighed, "I'm sorry about that-"

"Look," I stopped him again, "I don't want to be kicked out of here, so if that's what's going to end up happening, please just let me know so I can leave on my own."

He furrowed his eyebrows at me, walking closer, "No ones going to kick you out, and you're not leaving."

_____
A little bit of tension maybe?