Part 65

With my gun firmly gripped in my hand, I checked out some of the closely surrounding areas, just to be sure that nothing was waiting in the shadows; human or otherwise.

"I know you won't believe me till you see it, but this isn't a trick." Jesus pleaded as I made my way back over to where Maggie stood, gun aimed at the man in front of her.

"Then you best just stay quiet." She ordered.

"I didn't see anything," I said lowly as I stood by her side, staring at the building that currently was filled with mystery, "No walkers and no other people, not yet anyways-"

Just then, I was stopped mid sentence as the door to the building swung open, our people coming out accompanied by a few others.

"Oh thank god." Jesus said quietly, a breath of relief leaving his mouth.

"We really need to get back," a new face said, "Freddie's hurt and I don't have what I need here to treat him."

Rick nodded, taking off Jesus's handcuffs, "We'll get you back, we have an RV down the road a ways, we were just headed to your place anyway."

***

As we all sat, piled into the RV, the lack of sleep from the night before had began to catch up with me as I leaned against Daryl on the couch, his arm finding its way over my shoulder and resting ever so comfortably.

I didn't know who knew about us-- I don't even what we are, but day by day I could feel Daryl getting more affectionate with me outside of closed doors, and it made me feel like I've never felt before.
Ever since I started to get to know Daryl, it was clear that he had his emotions turned off, and as time went on, I found out why.. and I couldn't blame him, but seeing him open up little by little, makes me love him even more than I ever thought possible.

***
I awoke to Daryl softly nudging me, my eyes opening to see everyone slowly making their way out of the RV.

"Looks like we're here," Maggie smiled down at me before chuckling, "Did you have a good nap?"

I nodded, smiling tiredly as I stood up, Daryl's hand lightly placed on my lower back as we made our way out into the fielded area.

"That's us," Jesus spoke up as we looked out to see a large wooden wall, "That's the Hilltop."

***

We followed closely behind Jesus down a muddied, man made road, before we were stopped in our path.

"Stop right there!" A man commanded from the top of the Hilltop's gate, a spear gripped tightly in his hand as the man beside him adopted the same stature.

"Woah!" Jesus hushed in an attempt to defuse the situation as our weapons were imminently drawn at the danger, still completely unsure of what we were getting ourselves into.

"You gon' make us?" Daryl provoked, stepping in front of me as his gun kept a steady aim on the stranger.

"Jesus, what the hell is this?" The other man asked, aggravation heavily present in his voice.

"Open the gates, Cal, Freddie's hurt." He ordered before turning back to us, "I'm sorry about these guys-- they get antsy standing up there all day doing nothing."

"They give up the weapons.. then we'll open the gates." The man, now know as Cal, haggled.

"Why don't ya come down here and get 'em?" Daryl threatened, obviously not afraid of a fight.

"Gentlemen," the doctor, who I earlier learned was named Harlan, spoke up, "We vouch for these people, all right? They saved us out there!"

"Lower the spears-" Jesus ordered again before Rick cut him off.

"Look, I'm not taking any chances," he said lowly, "Tell your guy Gregory to come out here."

"No," Jesus shook his head, "Don't you see what just happened? I'm letting you keep your guns-- look, we ran out of ammo months ago, but I like you people.. I trust you, so trust us."

The stare down between the two men was heavy but soon broken as Rick signaled for us to put our weapons down, agreeing with the compromise that Jesus had negotiated.

"Open the gates, Cal." Jesus ordered once more and, finally, the squeaking of the heavy wooden gate was heard.

***

"Looks normal enough." I said lowly as my eyes wandered around the small town.

"Yeah well, normal ain't always normal." Daryl mumbled.

"There was a materials yard for a power company nearby-- that's how we put up the walls." Jesus explained, "A lot of people came from a FEMA camp and the trailers came with them."

"How did people find out about this place?" Michonne asked.

"That's called Barrington House," Jesus began as he turned around, pointing to the large brick building that we were all slowly making our way to, "The family that owned it gave it to the state in the 30's and then the state turned it into a living history museum. This place was running long before the modern world built up around it.. I think people came here because they figured it'd keep running after the modern world broke down. Those windows up there let us see for miles in every direction; perfect for security." He continued, "Come on, I'll show you inside."

_____
So I thought I was gonna get to a certain part in this chapter, but that part will actually be in the next chapter, so I apologize for that.

But let me know what you think!