Part 58

"They ain't hurt ya at all, right?" Daryl breathlessly asked as he scanned over my face and body.

I shook my head, wiping at my cheek, "They didn't touch me; you stopped them."

"I told ya, I ain't ever gonna let anythin' happen to ya." He murmured, his eyes soft as they gazed into mine, "I ain't gonna let anyone hurt ya."

"I know." I weakly smiled, pulling his face close to mine and kissing him sweetly before laying my head back on his chest; thankful to just be near him again.

***

I watched a Daryl rolled one of the men over, rummaging through his shirt pocket before pulling out a crumpled pack of cigarettes, "Bastard even had a shitty taste in smokes." He scoffed, throwing them into the backpack along with their guns and anything else they had on them.

"They deserved this.. right?" I asked quietly, my mind overthinking every detail.

Daryl nodded as he handed my knife back to me, "They ain't good people."

I nodded, sliding my knife back into its holster before taking Daryl's hand and following him out of the building.

"I found their ride outside; it ain't full, but it's got some shit we could use back home." Daryl explained, "We'll bring the car 'round to it, load it in, and then head back."

***

As Daryl siphoned gas from the strangers truck, I pulled out whatever I could find, that seemed useful, and packed it into the back of the car.

"Do you ever think about the people you've killed?" I asked quietly, a lot weighing on my mind, as I rounded up a few boxes of bullets that were under the seat, "Like, what they used to be like and why they're the way they are now?"

Daryl glanced over at me before he shrugged, "I try not to-- why? What ya thinking 'bout?"

"All those people.." I shook my head, "I- after what happened and after I killed those people who came into Alexandria, I thought I'd feel something-- anything.. and I don't. I killed those people and I didn't even know their first name or- or why they were doing what they were doing and I don't even feel bad about it.." I continued, my eyes glossing over as I looked at him, "Why don't I feel bad about it? What's wrong with me?"

"Ain't nothing wrong with ya-- not a damn thing," Daryl shook his head, pulling the hose out of the gas tank before throwing it in the trunk, "If ya felt something for every person ya killed, ya wouldn't be here anymore," he murmured as he moved in front of me, pushing the loose hair out of my face, "And we need ya here."

"It makes me feel like a monster.." I said breathlessly as I looked into his eyes.

"Ya think I'm a monster?" He asked before I quickly shook my head at his question, knowing for a fact that he was the exact opposite, "Then ya ain't either."

I nodded slowly, his reassuring words being the only thing I needed, before leaning into him as he left a kiss on my forehead.

***

I ran my thumb lightly over the skin of Daryl's knuckles, rough from what this world has become, before his voice pulled me out of my sweet thoughts.

"They say anythin' to ya?" He asked, glancing over at me before his eyes returned to the road, "The guys back there."

I shrugged, trying to go over the memory, "They wanted my knife and gun, and they also mentioned something to each other about taking me back to some guy.. or keeping me for themselves."

I felt as Daryl's grip got tense before it slowly relaxed as I reassuringly rubbed his arm, not wanting him worry about something that I know he would never let happen.

He cleared his throat, "Who?"

"I think their group leader or someone like that-- Negan?" I answered, unsure of these people or why it even mattered anymore.

Daryl slowly nodded, his eyes locked out the window before he started talking again, "When Sasha, Abraham, and I were all comin' back with that tanker, we got stopped by a group of ten-- maybe twelve guys," he explained, "Tried takin' everything; mentioned the same guy those pricks were talkin' 'bout to ya."

My heart nearly stopped as I slowly put two and two together, "So there's another group out there like the one that raided Alexandria?"

Daryl shook his head, "They ain't gonna do what that last group did-- we ain't gonna let 'em."

"These people have guns, Daryl." I reminded, "The last group didn't.."

"We already took out a dozen of their people; they ain't gotta have many left, and if more show up, we'll do the same thing to 'em." He explained as he looked over to me, "It ain't gonna happen again."

***

We soon arrived back at Alexandria; my mind at ease after talking with Daryl.
Rick met with us right as we pulled up in front of Olivia's house to drop off the supplies we picked up.

"How'd it go, you two?" He asked as we got out of the car, "Find anything we could use around here?"

"Found more than that." I scoffed, causing Rick to furrow his eyebrows at me.

"What do you mean? What happened?"

"Ran into a couple a pricks along the way," Daryl said as he pounded on the garage door, it opening moments later, "Musta been with the same group Sasha, Abraham, and I ran into-"

"How can you be sure?" Rick cut him off, concern for our group in his voice.

"Both mentioned the same guy; some douche named Negan."

_____
Sorry this chapters late; I wanted to put enough information in it so you knew that the men that they ran into were from The Sanctuary, and also wanted to put in some sweet Lizyl moments

Let me know what you think!