Part 41

As I woke up, my mind adjusted to the unfamiliar surroundings, remembering that I'd slept in Daryl's room, and then remembering why.
I looked over at the clock, seeing that it was 9:38am, before getting up and heading downstairs.

"Hey?" Carl said confused as I walked into the kitchen, "I didn't know you stayed here last night."

"Your dad wanted us to all stay close last night after what happened yesterday." Michonne chimed in as she walked through the kitchen and to the front door, "There's some food in the cupboard if you need anything, Liz."

"I'm good," I shook my head, "Have you heard anything though?"

"Nothing yet," she said opening the door, "But I'll let you know if I do."

I sighed as the door closed, running my fingers through my hair and trying to figure out where to go from here.

"Enid left." Carl said as he spooned some soup from a bowl.

"She left? When?" I asked confused.

"Yesterday, after everything happened, she just climbed the wall and left."

"Ok but, why? Why would she want to leave this place?"

He shrugged, "She said she just didn't want to be here."

"I'm sure she'll be ok," I said, still trying to sound optimistic, "She seems like she can handle herself."

"Yeah, I guess."

I sighed, "I think I'm gonna go see what's going on out there, you coming?"

He nodded, taking another bite of soup, "Probably in a bit."

***

I climbed up another watch tower, wanting to check on Maggie and also slightly curious to see the growing herd outside the walls.

"Hey, darling." She smiled down at me as I made my way to the top, "How're you doing?"

"Better than yesterday," I breathed, "What about you?"

She stayed silent for a moment before finding her answer, "Hopeful."

I smiled, "Well, that's probably the best thing to be feeling right now."

I heard her take a deep breath and then exhale beside me, "I'm pregnant."

I froze for a moment, speechless as I looked out over the wall; wondering if I just heard her wrong over the groaning below us.

"Glenn knows, Aaron knows, and now you know."

"Oh my god, you're- oh my god." I said in disbelief, earning a small chuckle from Maggie, "I mean, congratulations but, why are you telling me?"

"I trust you." She shrugged, looking back over to me and smiling.

I smiled back, still in shock and trying to process what she just told me before embracing her in a hug, "I'm so happy for you, I just- I can't believe it."

"Neither can I," she laughed as we pulled away, "I never thought it would happen, but it just did."

"Wow," I chuckled, still processing everything, "Well, I mean, do you want me to take over your shift? I have nothing else to do really." I offered.

She shook her head, looking back over the wall, "Glenn told Michonne that he'd give us a sign, and if he does, it'll be coming from that direction over there." She pointed, "I'm gonna be here to see it."