Chapter 1

Aidan Meara Ashryver Havilliard waited until the last of her maids disappeared out the oak doors of her bedchamber before slipping out from under the sheets of her bed. She had feigned a bout of sickness to excuse herself from the boring history lessons of Master Cumbert. Though the sun shone in through the small glass windows and a small fire crackled in the hearth in the corner of the room, the cold stones bit her feet. The feeling was both nerve wracking and comforting. She slipped her ashen feet into a pair of worn slippers and placed a fur-lined robe around her shoulders before making her way to the tapestry on the wall. 

With one last look at her grand suite, the ten-year old heir to the throne of Adarlan slid into the dark passageways that made up the underbelly of the castle. Clutching a worn map in one hand and a candle she had taken from her rooms in the other, Aidan slowly made her way through the dark and twisting tunnels. 

She thought of her several-times great-aunt, Queen Aelin, who had used these same tunnels almost a hundred years before. The thoughts of the warrior queen who saved Erilea brightened Aidan's mood as she moved through the passageways. According to legend, Aelin had  sacrificed herself destroying Queen Maeve, the Wyrdgate, and herself before anyone could stop her. Aelin had been gifted with great magic, just like Aidan's great-grandfather Dorian had been. 

Aidan bit her lip, wishing that she could possess just a fraction of the magic that her ancestors had. No one had had magic in the Havilliard line since King Dorian, and it was unlikely to resurface anytime soon. It was sad to think about, but Aidan pushed the thoughts from her mind. Within a few minutes, Aidan had reached the end of the tunnel, which ended in the city sewer. The smell was rancid, and she had to cover her nose to avoid vomiting. She climbed up the nearest ladder and had to push with all of her might to loose the grating above the sewer, but finally, she emerged from dankness of the castle and the city's underbelly. 

She didn't recognize where she was in the city, a quiet little street lined with rundown townhouses and warehouses. There were children, perhaps a year or two younger than herself playing down the road a ways, but other than them, the street was abandoned. Birds chirped happily from their perches on the townhouse gables, and the faint scent of bread washed through the street. 

Aidan approached the children who were kicking a ball among themselves. They stopped when she neared them and narrowed their eyes. 

"Who are you?" a boy with blue eyes and shaggy blonde hair asked, none too politely.

Annoyed with his tone, Aidan spat, "I'm Aidan, and now I'm playing with you. Do you have a problem with it?" While some of their eyes widened in recognition, the blue-eyed boy didn't seem to know who she was.

"I don't like little castle dwellers who they think can just do whatever they like. This here is my ball," the boy emphasized, "and I say what gets done with it. You better scurry on home to your mum so you don't get hurt down here in the rough part of town." The boy finished with a laugh and turned to his friends. What he didn't see coming was a sharp smack to the back of the head.  The little blue-eyed boy howled in pain, and Aidan smirked. 

"You're gonna regret that, you little she-devil," he screamed as he and friends ran off down the street.  Aidan humphed, she was not all used to having to ask children to play with her. In the castle, there was always a steady line of children who wanted to play with her or were at least forced to by their parents. She kicked a rock down the street, a little angry at the blue-eyed boy but still happy for the freedom that being outside the castle walls brought. She was only ten, but the stone castle already felt like a prison, with the never-ending tutors and lessons. 

Aidan paid little attention to her surroundings, kicking the rock, exploring her thoughts, and enjoying the mid-afternoon sun on her face until it became too quiet. The birds had stopped chirping, and she could no longer overhear the voices from the main street. Aidan began to panic. Something was very, very wrong. She made the decision to run only seconds too late, as a blade was placed at her neck and a hand held her still. Male laughter filled the quiet street.

"Look at what we got here, boys. We got ourselves a little princess," a male voice called from several feet behind her. "I bet she'd catch a handsome price with the king." The man that had spoken came around to face her, but he was wearing a mask. Aidan could only see his eyes, one green and one blue and a scar that disappeared behind the black mask. She struggled against the man that held her, but he held his blade tighter to her neck. 

The green and blue eyed man touched her face with a callused hand and tears threatened Aidan's eyes. 

"Of course, we could also sell these fine clothes here," he said as he ripped off her small cloak. His hand made its way to Aidan's wrist and then moved up her arm. Tears began to leak out of Aidan's eyes, and the man pulled his hand away. 

She looked at him through the tears. His eyes glazed over in confusion, and he began to choke, before falling to the ground in front of her, a dagger protruding from his dirt-stained back. 

The blade that held her in place slackened, and she felt the man behind her go limp. Not knowing what to do, Aidan ran as fast as she could down the street. If the men wanted to find her or the unknown attacker was unfriendly, her safest bet was to make it to the crowded street she had heard earlier.

She had almost made it around the corner when she heard a musical female voice say, "Stop, Aidan Meara. Please stop." Although nervous about it, Aidan stopped, if only to learn who this stranger was. The woman had her hood drawn over her hair and eyes, but seeing the hesitancy in Aidan's eyes, she pushed it down. 

Even from a distance, Aidan could see the green  surrounded in golden starlight in the woman's eyes. She was beautiful with long-blonde hair and a faint smile. As she got closer to Aidan, she picked out several more blades along the woman's small frame. 

"Hello, Aidan. It is very nice to meet you," the strange woman said. She held out a hand, and unconsciously, Aidan took it. 

"Who are you?" Aidan whispered. The woman's touch was comforting  and oddly familiar. Still holding her hand, they began to walk towards the hustle and bustle of the main street. 

"I am a friend, little one," she answered vaguely. Aidan frowned but left it at that. She hated vague half-answers. When they entered the street, the woman steered her towards a city guard who looked familiar to Aidan and whispered in his ear so that Aidan could not hear their conversation. 

"I have to go now, little one, but I'm sure we'll meet again one day. This is Captain Charles Westfall of the King's Guard. He will take good care of you," the blonde-haired woman waved at the guard and then bent down to whisper in Aidan's ear.

"You can rattle the stars if want, Aidan Meara Ashryver Havilliard. Do not ever be afraid to be who you are."