Chapter 14

In the darkness of her cell, Aidan flipped the mirror over and over in her hands, learning all of the delicate curves and edges with her fingers. For the most part, it was smooth and cool against her hands, but every now and again, she would feel a little scratch in the handle. It could have been a name engraved into it or an imperfection in the metal work, but in the obliterating darkness, she couldn't tell. 

She didn't know how long she sat there, maybe hours, maybe days, but no one ever came back to her cell. Not Adrian. Not the silver haired lady. Not even a servant to bring her food. Each second seemed like it lasted an eternity. Aidan dozed off every now and then, only to dream of iron teeth or animal claws. At one point, she thought she heard the murmur of strange voices, speaking of places and things she'd never heard or seen, but they too faded into the darkness of the dungeon. Only the cool, smoothness of the mirror kept her grounded in reality. Aidan clutched onto it like a lifeline. 

Forever passed, and Aidan had given up on the hopes of anyone coming to her rescue when the heavy door at the end of the long hallway scraped open. Heavy boots padded toward her. Quickly, before the light of the torch came into view, Aidan shoved the mirror down the front of her bodice, adjusting it here and there in the darkness. She hoped against hope that it couldn't be picked out among the layers of the dress she wore. 

The light of the torch came closer, and the outline of a man came into view.

Adrian's voice rang loud in the silence of the dungeon, "Hello, Aidan darling. How are you today, love?" 

Aidan shook off the shiver that ran down her back with the sound of his voice. The ethereal woman's voice filled her head, You must escape Adarlan. Take this to Aelin. The mirror seemed to throb with the thought of her name, a reminder of her new mission. She didn't answer his question, but she didn't spit at him either. 

"Hmm. You seem like a little more willing to cooperate today. Would you like me to let you out of your cage for a bit?" Aidan also didn't respond to this, slightly raising her chin. 

He continued, "I think I'll let my little bird out for a turn." 

Adrian took a set of keys out of his pocket and carefully selected a small iron one, fitting it into the lock. The door swung open, and he took a step inside. Aidan backed up as far as she could into the small cell. Stickiness covered her hands as she pressed herself against the brick wall. 

One more step, and Adrian was beside her, his left hand gripping her right wrist hard. Aidan let out a soft whimper at the force of his hand on her wrist. He ignored her and pulled her along through the long corridor and up a set of slippery steps. Although her wrist was screaming in pain, she was glad for his grip or else she would have tripped going up the steps. 

He tugged her along through several more, better lit, corridors before stopping at a large oak door. Two guards, dressed in Femorian red rather than in the familiar garb of the Guard, stood at attention at the door. They opened it for the two of them, and Adrian pushed her inside. 

"Get yourself cleaned up. I'll be waiting in the throne room. Don't do anything rash, or you might find yourself in a smaller, dirtier hole," he said as he waved a hand. Am older maid ran toward her, throwing her arms around her. Aidan silently thanked the gods that Anisa had come out unscathed. The old maid shooed the Prince of Femora out through the same door he had come. 

"Come along, my love. Let's get you washed up and changed," Anisa said loudly, practically screaming. She pulled her along, but not in the direction of the bathtub. They passed a stained glass window depicting a white-haired witch on a wyvern, her great-grandmother Manon. It was dark outside, but the white hair still sparkled brightly, perhaps it was Dorian's magic and love after all this time. She didn't have time to dwell on the picture because Anisa's demanding hands pulled her along to a closet. 

"Anisa, shouldn't I wash first? I don't want to get the dress dirty," Aidan asked, confused. 

"Shhh. Do you want them to hear you? You have to get out of here, Aidan. They've blocked all passage out of Adarlan. You have to escape," Anisa whispered. She placed a black cloak around her shoulders. 

"I can't leave Adarlan. Or you. Or Father. I have to stay. I have to help," Aidan replied.

"Adarlan has faced much worse than this Femorian trash, but we need a strong leader to turn to. You have to escape so that you can come back. Do you hear me?" 

Aidan nodded, numb. Anisa grabbed her in a tight hug.

"Keep your head down. Get out of Rifthold and then Adarlan, even this continent if you must. You're becoming who you were always meant to be. I am so proud of you, Aidan," the old maid whispered into her hair.

"Go now. You will have an hour, maybe two, before they come looking for you. Do what you must to survive," she continued as she pushed her toward a mound of clothing in the back of the closet. Under it, Aidan could barely make out the line of a trap door in the floor. Anisa helped her into it, and Aidan kept her eyes on her old nurse and friend as she descended. 

"Go about two hundred feet to your left. Up a flight of stairs. Left for another one hundred feet. The door will open onto the street. Good luck, child," Anisa closed the trap door. She could hear the older woman piling the clothes back onto to it. 

Aidan followed her directions precisely, almost running through the castle underbelly. She finally reached the door, and it opened onto the street, just as Anisa said it would. 

The night was dark, but not as never-ending as the darkness that had enveloped her in the dungeon. She took a small step out onto the street not knowing where to go from there. She turned to the left and a searing hot pain in her chest stopped her. The mirror. Turning to the right, she braced herself for the heat, but it was only a warm glow, as if in approval of her directions. 

Aidan Meara Ashryver Havilliard looked up at the stars in the sky, her eyes lingering on the North Star, and in her heart, she knew that she wasn't alone. 

Hey guys! I know this one was kind of boring, and I'm sorry. The next couple will be better, I promise. Don't forget to vote and comment! Next chapter is Aelin's.