Chapter 36

The wooden side of Rowan's training blade smacked into Aidan's arm. She barked out but moved back quickly, getting ready for his next attack.

Before he could spring forward, he said, "I think we're done for today. There's someone here to see you."

Aidan followed his gaze to his tiny blonde mate, seated with her legs crossed on the wall behind her.

Aelin smiled, but Aidan picked up on the sadness in it, "If you don't keep your sword up, Rowan's going to smack his against your head next time."

"You're being a little harsh, Fireheart. She's doing well," Rowan said, taking Aidan's sword and placing it back on the rack.

"Do you need me to remind you of how I learned to fight? I could have sent her to the Red Desert to train with the Silent Assassins, but instead she is here with me, her loving aunt. I don't know how much better it could get," Aelin replied, jumping off the wall and landing beside Aidan.

"From what I remember, I could still put you on your ass years after you left the Red Desert," Rowan shot back.

Throwing an arm around Aidan's shoulder, Aelin replied, "Goodbye, Rowan."

"Where are we going?" Aidan asked as her aunt gently steered her through the palace.

"Somewhere quiet. I have a lot to tell you."

"Why can't you tell me now? Is it news from Adarlan?" Aidan continued.

"I would prefer to tell you somewhere private, Aidan. You have some decisions to make, and I don't want anyone influencing what you decide."

"Okay?" Aidan said, suspicious.

They continued through the palace in silence after that. Aelin stopped them before a door Aidan recognized as Aelin's own rooms. Aidan had never been inside, even after months of being in Doranelle. They were just as she thought they would be, luxurious and brimming over with green and silver. Even after a hundred years, Aelin still loved Terrasen.

"Aelin?" Aidan asked, settling onto the sofa Aelin had pointed to when they entered the room.

"Hmm," she murmured as she poured a drink for the both of them.

"Why did give up Terrasen?"

Settling onto the opposite chair, Aelin replied, "It was very complicated. It broke my heart to do it. After we had rebuilt Orynth and the other cities in Terrasen, there really wasn't much for me to do but think about the past. Eventually, I Settled, and I guess I couldn't imagine ruling a human kingdom for centuries. Even if I was a good ruler, nothing would change for years. If I was a bad ruler, generations upon generations would not know anything but me. I guess I thought it wasn't fair for an immortal to rule mortals. Aedion didn't end up Settling, but he loved Terrasen just as much as I did, so I convinced the people to support him as King."

Aidan nodded but didn't say anything, rolling the words around in her mind.

"Aidan, I have a lot of things to tell you, and I'm not sure how you're going to take them."

"I'm sure I'll be fine. Just get it over with, please," Aidan answered.

"Well, first, Adrian has taken Fenharrow and is now marching for Melisande," Aelin started.

"What about Terrasen? Have they sent soldiers to try and stop him?"

"Aidan, Terrasen won't move towards war unless it is threatened."

"But I'm sure if you told them to, they would try to help Adarlan," Aidan argued, but there was something sad in Aelin's eyes.

"I'm can't tell them to do that because I don't think they should. Not unless Adrian attacks their borders. I'm sorry," Aelin said.

Aidan frowned but asked, "Is that all you have to tell me?"

"No. There's something else."

"Well, what is it?"

Aelin remained silent, not knowing what to say.

"WHAT IS IT?" Aidan almost screamed.

"The King of Adarlan is dead, Aidan. Your father is dead," Aelin whispered, taking the girl's hand.

"Does that mean...?"

Before Aelin could answer, the door was pushed open, and a golden-haired Gavriel spilled in, holding out a letter.

"What's wrong, Gavriel?"

"Adrian has marched on Terrasen. They've declared war. Terrasen's requesting aide," he exclaimed.

Standing up from her seat, Aelin commanded, "Let the others know. Tell Evie to start preparing the fleet, and Connall to start readying troops."

Gavriel nodded and left quickly.

Aidan asked, "What should I do?"

"Are you ready to go home?"

Aidan smiled grimly and nodded, standing and making to move towards the door after Gavriel.

"Wait, Aidan," Aelin said, and her niece stopped and turned to look at her.

"There's one more thing."

"Oh?"

"Why don't you sit back down?"

Aidan sat back on the silver sofa and folded her legs under herself, waiting.

Aelin continued, "I know how to send Azriel and Tamlin back to Prythian."

"Really? That's amazing! I bet they're so excited to go home. They've been in Doranelle for months!"

"The only thing is, you'll have to do it."

"Oh! I'd be happy to help them. I'm sure they miss it," Aidan said.

"Aidan, stop and listen to me," Aelin replied, shadows playing over her face. "In order to send them back, you'll have to go with them."

"But Adarlan...?"

"You are the Queen of Adarlan, but you're also their only chance of going home again. This is your decision, and I'll support whatever you decide."

WHAT? Three chapters in one day? Thank you all for reading, voting, and commenting! I'm still trying to finish this up before I go back to school next week! I might have another update tonight! You never know.