Chapter 6

Feyre sat with her head in her hands at the circular table in Adriata. The seven High Lords had been arguing about this and that for almost three days. Even though the seven courts had united to defeat the King of Hybern, that friendship seemed to extend only so far. Disputes about land, the fate of the humans and the Wall, and whether or not Feyre was even a valid member of the High Council were some of the more important points of their arguments. 

"I, for one, believe that this whole thing is ridiculous. There is no way Feyre can be a High Lady. First, there are only seven courts. We cannot have eight leaders. And secondly, she's a woman. How would she know anything about ruling a territory," the High Lord of Autumn stated, standing up from his place at the table. 

Feyre rolled her eyes at Beron. Always sticking to tradition. She glanced across the table to where the other Lords had insisted that Rhysand sit. Although no emotion played across his face, through the bond, Feyre could feel flickers of irritation. 

High Lord Beron continued, looking not at Feyre but Rhysand, "In fact, I don't think she should be privy to these discussions at all. I think we should vote on her very presence here today." 

Tarquin, the High Lord of Summer, pitched in from beside her, "How can we vote on that when we haven't even decided if Feyre is part of this council? If she is, she has a vote, too. If not, why would we even need to vote. The rules of this council state that only the rulers of the Seven Courts can participate." 

With non-coherent grumble, Beron retook his seat; Tarquin had made him look stupid in front of the other High Lords.

"So, let's vote, and be done with it. Feyre, since the matter is about you, you will not get to vote. is that agreeable to you?" Tarquin asked. Although she didn't like it, she nodded. At least the meeting would be over faster. Too bad the High Council room nullified the Council's powers, or she could have persuaded all of them to just vote for her anyway. 

"Good. Now, if you do not accept Feyre as a High Lady of the Night Court, please raise your hands," Tarquin continued. Feyre's eyes did not leave Beron's as he raised his hand with wicked smirk until he broke away to look at Tamlin, who did not have his hand raised. 

Looking around the table, Helion of the Day Court and Kallias of the Winter Court had their hands raised but looked anywhere but at her. Most eyes were on Tamlin. Tamlin merely stared at the table and his hands. 

"Are you not going to vote against the female that infiltrated your land, acted as a spy, and pretended to love you, you coward!" Beron roared. Feyre flinched, but Tamlin didn't bat an eye though his gaze moved to focus on her face.

"No, I'm not going to vote against the savior of Prythian," Tamlin said softly. This had Beron sputtering. He no longer had the numbers or control of the Council. Feyre eyed Rhysand, and the look of love and pride he gave her warmed her to her core. 

Tarquin, always the buffer, said, "and all who vote for Feyre to join this Council, please vote now." The High Lords of Night, Summer, Spring, and Dawn raised their hands, and Feyre gave them a small smile. "The vote is 3-4. This Council accepts Feyre into it and bestows on her all rights and privileges that come with it."

The Council argued among themselves for what felt like hours, but Feyre didn't pay much attention to what they were saying. As long as Faeries stuck to their side of the wall, and no one proposed to kill all the humans, Feyre was happy. 

Tarquin interrupted her absent-minded thoughts, "If you vote to send an exploratory group to catalog the island of Hybern, please raise your hand." 

Around the table, four hands rose, including Rhysand's. Feyre narrowed her eyes. Although the Council Room magic blocked out their mind to mind communication. Feyre could tell Rhysand was willing her to raise her hand, but she shook her head. She couldn't imagine sending anyone into such an evil place. It should be shut down, she shuddered thinking about what had happened only months prior. Some of the Lords looked back and forth between the two.

And when Tarquin called for opposing votes, Feyre raised her hand and made her first official decision as High Lady of the Night Court.

Sorry this part was kind of boring, but I needed to set some things in motion here! The next part will be in Aidan's POV! Thanks a lot!