Chapter 34

The High Lord of Night paced back and forth in mid-sized Velarian townhouse. Anxiety rolled off of him and filled the sitting room. He was well on his way to wearing a hole through the floor, and the dwindling members of his court sat on the edges of their seats, waiting for him to speak.

Tears still marking her face, Mor said, "We'll get her back, Rhys. We always do."

He stopped pacing as she spoke and grabbed onto the mantelpiece with both hands as if it were the only thing stopping him from tearing the townhouse apart.

"You don't understand. When she was with Tamlin, I could still feel her. I could still hear her voice in my head through the bond. Now," he paused, "now there's nothing."

Amren spoke up from where she was perched on the sofa, "That's impossible. There's no magic, in any realm, that can break or halt a mating bond."

There was a touch of hysteria in his voice when he answered, "Trust me. There's definitely something blocking it."

Slamming the glass in her hand down onto the short table, Amren said, "Well, Rhysand, you're going to have do some pulling on that bond or something because you're the only person who can find her. This is all on you."

"Don't you dare blame him, Amren. This is your fault," Cassian threatened from the other side of the room.

"And how exactly is this my fault, you stupid bat?" she fired back harshly.

"You should have stopped her from going to the Spring Court. You know how dangerous it is."

"First of all, my High Lady gave me an order, which I cannot refuse. Secondly, my best guess is that she went to find a Suriel for some answers, which is more than any of us have been able to do since Azriel disappeared. After what she did for them, I don't think they would hurt her."

"Then what do you think happened to her, all-knowing Amren?" Cassian hissed.

"I think that she got the information she needed from the Suriel, but when she was getting ready to leave, she either heard the screaming or smelt the smoke of the Spring village that was burnt to the ground. Some of the villagers reported seeing her and the armada that caused the damage. The ships had owl banners, not of any kingdom I know of. I think she went to warn Lucien, and I think she stayed there to help him instead of returning.

"She's far more powerful than he ever will be. She must have reinforced the wards around the Estate, that's the only reason I can think of that Rhysand would not be able to enter them. She doesn't have any experience with them and while casting them, her only wish was to keep everything out, which it's done so far," Amren spat.

"Have we heard anything from Lucien?" Rhys interjected quietly, still clutching the mantel.

"We haven't heard anything from anyone within the Estate," Cassian murmured.

"And what about the mirror, Mor?"

"Nothing. I'll keep trying though. Maybe someone on the other side will know what's going on," Mor replied, voice hoarse and full of guilt.

Rhys didn't move for a few minutes, and the rest of the court held a collective breath, waiting for what he'd do next. Finally, he turned around to face them, heartbreak in his eyes.

"I'm going to try to follow the bond, but I need to be alone to do it, to break through the barrier if I have to. Could you guys just...?"

Amren hopped to her feet, "Leave? Yes, I have more important things to do than sit here and wallow. I'll be back later if you have need of me."