Chapter 39

It had been days since Queen Maeve had tricked Rhys into bringing the mirror to Hybern, days since they had been thrown back into the small cell Feyre had occupied before Rhys' arrival. Boots scraped occasionally along the hallway or a door opened and shut, but it was the agonizing moans that shook Feyre to her very core.

Even though Rhys had done exactly what Maeve had wanted, it seemed like she still delighted in torturing Helion. Every day like clockwork multiple guards paraded down the hallway and dragged an already broken Helion to where Maeve certainly waited for him. Sometimes he would be gone for minutes, sometimes for hours, but he always came back, moaning from a pain that pierced deep into her heart.

When the guards came for him, Feyre buried her face deep into Rhys' shoulder, his hand automatically coming up to stroke her hair. Sunshine poked in from a small window high above them, but it did little to lighten up the room. 

It was a little bit after dawn when the footsteps echoed down the hallway and the two of them heard Helion's cell door scrape open. Rhys pulled Feyre as close to him as possible.

"She's going to kill him, Rhys," Feyre whispered into his shoulder. She felt him stiffen with her words.

"He'll be fine. If she wanted him dead, she would have killed him by now," Rhys offered.

"You haven't seen him. He's broken inside. I think I would prefer to be dead."

Rhys gripped her face gently, pulling her chin up so he could look into her eyes.

"Don't you ever say that, Feyre. Never wish to be dead," Rhys said hoarsely. 

"If I was Helion, I would want you to kill me," Feyre answered. 

Rhys sighed and put his forehead against hers, "We're going to get out of here. Amren and Cassian are coming."

Feyre touched her stomach, which was noticeably bigger, "I just hope they come in time." 

The two of them sat in silence, waiting for Helion's agonizing return, but it never came. Instead, another set of footsteps echoed down the hallway, stopping in front of their cell. Feyre's eyes widened, looking up sharply at Rhys, who had jumped up to a crouch, snarling at the guards on the other side of the door. 

"Don't try anything, or we'll kill both of you," a dark male voice commanded through the door. 

Rhys snarled in response, moving between Feyre and the door. 

"Rhys. Stop it," Feyre hissed as the door started to slide open. 

Feyre cringed when Rhys lunged forward, bringing down the first guard in the process. Although he was unstoppable with his magic and above average as a warrior, he was no match for the ten seasoned guards that waited outside of the cell for him. As he moved from the first guard to the second, a third guard hit him hard in the back of the head with the hilt of a dagger, dropping him like a stone. 

"No! Stop!" Feyre yelled, moving across the cell floor towards her unconscious mate. 

One of the guards spoke gruffly and helped her to her feet, "He'll be fine. He's just unconscious. She'll want him chained up for that."

With his words, another guard pulled Rhys to the wall where a set of chains awaited him.

She didn't get a chance to protest before she was yanked out of the room. She couldn't help but notice the small splotches of blood throughout the hallway. One hand went to her stomach as she was led through the dark castle to the large wooden doors that marked the throne room.