Chapter 49

Aidan was getting frustrated with the army's slow pace, growing accustomed to winnowing or flying wherever she needed to go. There had been no news of attacks since they'd left Velaris, giving her hope that they would reach the Fae villages in time to stop Maeve. 

"Are we there yet?" Aidan asked, riding beside Azriel on a chestnut brown mare. 

"We're five minutes closer than when you asked five minutes ago," Azriel laughed. "If you're really so bored, we could play a game."

She narrowed her eyes at him, wondering if he'd ever played a game in his life. 

"What's your game?" Aidan asked as they rode. 

"Questions for questions. I'll ask you a question, and then you can ask me a question," he explained. 

"Fine."

"Will you marry me?" Azriel asked, peering down at her from his own horse. 

"Right now?" Aidan exclaimed. "We're kind of in the middle of something!"

"No, not right now," he laughed. "But once this is over, and we've defeated Maeve for good."

Aidan felt a flash of guilt at not telling him the entirety of the prophecy, at the fact that this journey might be her last. She smiled sadly, hoping he wouldn't notice.

"Sure. In a couple years," she said. 

"Years!" he repeated. 

"Yes, years. I have more important things on my mind, Az," she laughed. 

The two of them took turns asking questions for hours and were only interrupted when a speck appeared in the distance and got bigger as it approached. An Illryian she didn't recognize landed beside their horses.

"What is it, Adainita?" Azriel questioned. 

"Pentrefia has been destroyed, and Maeve's army seems to be headed for Gwenth. They're less than a day out," he answered, bowing and flying off to his own legion.

Aidan remembered those names from the map in the House of Wind, both of which were needed to complete Wyrdmark. 

"How far are we from Gwenth?" 

Sullenly, he said, "Three days." 

"Can we send a message? Or one of us can winnow there and warn them," Aidan asked. 

"I'll let Rhys know. We can warn them. They'll have to move quickly," Azriel answered. 

"We can winnow them in and out. Me and Mor and Feyre and Rhys and Tamlin can all winnow," Aidan offered. 

Frowning, Azriel replied, "There are too many people in Gwenth to winnow out. You'll use all your energy, and you'll all need it soon." 

Aidan frowned at his logic, but let the issue rest as he rode off to let Rhys know of the new developments. A few minutes later, the direction of the line changed, heading further east.

When Azriel returned to her side, she asked, "Why did we change directions?"

"We're heading for Cyfle," he said quietly.

"So we're just abandoning all of the people in Gwenth! We need to ride west, Az!" Aidan exclaimed.

"Rhys is warning the people in Gwenth now. Hopefully, they have enough time to disappear. You have to understand, this is the only way to save as many people as possible," he explained. 

"Well, it's a terrible way!" Aidan gritted out. 

"I know," he said sadly.