Chapter 37

Aidan leaned back against the ship side, watching the crew hoist the sails of the ship that would take her back to Adarlan, along with some of Doranelle's army. The sails were green with a both a silver stag and a silver hawk embroidered onto them symbolizing both of the kingdom's rulers. 

There were more than a hundred ships in Doranelle's harbor, many of which had already pulled away from the docks to wait for the order to sail across the Great Ocean. Aelin had told her that there were about ten thousand troops spread across the different vessels, not including the crews manning them. They planned on splitting the fleet up, half going to Terrasen's border, half going into Melisande with other ships provided by the Ashryvers in Wendlyn, who had also been called on for aide.

Across the deck, Aidan saw Aelin chatting cheerfully with Rowan and Gavriel. Although they were going into war, Aidan suspected that Aelin was excited, at least a little bit. There had been very little conflict, especially in Doranelle, for a very long time.  

Further up deck, Tamlin sullenly sat on a bench. Aidan smiled in spite of herself. Tamlin had locked himself up in his rooms for the most part of the three months he'd been in Doranelle, and when he did grace them with his presence, he was rude and spiteful. 

Azriel stood near him, but they weren't speaking. From what she knew of the two of them, they were the furthest thing from friends. Tamlin would betray whomever he had to to get what he wanted, and it made Aidan a little uneasy to have him with them. 

She enjoyed the sea breeze as she leaned on the railing, and eventually Evie gave the command to leave the docks. The ship's crew worked quickly, the ship joining the rest of the fleet in the open water, but instead of stopping, they moved through the mass to the head of the armada. 

Aelin appeared in front of her, "Are you excited to go home?"

Aidan glanced quickly at Azriel before she said, "I feel bad." 

"I know, but you made a decision that will help millions. They can't fault you for that," Aelin replied, patting her shoulder. 

When Aidan didn't answer, Aelin continued, "Look at Rowan."

Aidan peered at her brooding uncle but didn't see what Aelin was pointing out.

"Why? He's not doing anything," Aidan answered. 

Laughing, Aelin said, "Of course he is. He's providing the wind for the the armada. Along with Evie, Declan, and some of the other Whitethorns dispersed throughout the ships. We'll reach Terrasen in a week, rather than three this way."

"Oh. How do they do it?" Aidan asked, studying what little Rowan was doing. Up near the helm, Evie didn't seem to being doing anything other than steering the ship.

Aelin shrugged, "I don't know. I set things on fire and kill people. You could ask Rowan."

Aidan squinted at her aunt. Rowan was not the most approachable person. Aelin laughed and yanked her towards her towering mate. 

"Rowan," Aelin sing-songed.

"Yes?" he asked, suspicious of her good mood.

"Aidan wants you to teach her how to manipulate the wind like you're doing right now," Aelin chirped.

Although Aidan was hesitant to ask him, Rowan was a fairly good teacher, and within an hour, she had mastered the wind manipulation of a few of the smaller sails. 

"You're doing well with it. Just keep focused. Why don't you take a break? I'm going to scout ahead," Rowan said, nodding to where Aelin was eating a biscuit.

Before she could ask how he planned to scout ahead on the open sea, the tall male transformed into an enormous red-tailed hawk before her eyes. He made a noise at her before shooting off into the air. 

Keeping her eyes on him, she ran to the front of the ship, but before she got to the bow, she collided with a dark, solid mass. Hands automatically came up to steady her.

Looking up into Azriel's eyes, she exclaimed, "I'm so sorry. I didn't hurt you, did I? I was watching Rowan fly..."

Azriel peered at her and then laughed, "You couldn't hurt me if you tried, Aidan."

He looked behind him into the distance where Rowan was just a speck. 

"Why were you watching him fly?" Azriel asked. 

"I don't know. I just... It must be amazing to be able to fly wherever you want whenever you want," Aidan sighed, looking down at her own two feet. 

An emotion washed over the Illyrian's face that she couldn't place.

"Would you like to fly?" Azriel asked curiously.

"Maybe. But I have two feet and no wings. It doesn't seem like it will happen anytime soon," Aidan laughed.

At her words, Azriel flicked his dark wings out and said, "Or it could be today."

Aidan's eyes widened, "Do you mean...?"

Azriel smiled, "Of course."

"Oh, no. It's just a dream. I couldn't really. I'm probably too heavy and...," Aidan mumbled some non coherent excuses. 

"I'll try not to be offended. Do you really think I couldn't  hold onto a little thing like you?" Azriel laughed, and before Aidan could protest, he wrapped his muscled arms around her and shot them into the sky.

Aidan couldn't stop herself from shrieking at the feeling of exploding into the air, but eventually, she got use to the feeling and could see the ships on the open water below. She was speechless.

"Well? Is it all you expected it to be?" Azriel asked, his arms still firmly around her. 

"More," Aidan gasped as Azriel playfully let them fall through the sky and then shot back up.

Although the flight was exhilarating, a guilt nagged in the back of Aidan's mind as she stared into Azriel's eyes.

"I'm sorry, Azriel," Aidan whispered.

"What could you possibly be sorry for?"

"I'm sorry I couldn't send you home. I know how much you miss it."

There was a little sadness in his eyes, but he replied, "I understand. I would have done the same thing in your position."

"And it's not so bad here with you," he stopped, and Aidan couldn't stop her heart from fluttering. "Queen Aelin and the rest of Doranelle have been extremely generous."

"I'm still sorry. You deserve to be happy," Aidan answered, looking back down at the sea of green and silver.

It was a few moments before Azriel replied, "I am happy."

Hey guys! I promise there will be more action in the next chapter, but thanks again for reading so far, commenting, and voting! I really appreciate it!