Chapter 20

"What are you?" the voice growled again. Azriel's head was spinning, and he could barely focus on his captor kneeling above him.

A deeper growl was let loose from beside him, and he turned his head just enough to see the beast of Spring transform. The man's hands grew into claws, antlers sprouted from his temple, and he tripled in size as he transformed into a creature of nightmares. One of Tamlin's front claws pawed in the dirt as he readied himself to charge.

The weight on his chest was quickly withdrawn as he was dragged to his feet. 

"Call off your dog. We do not want violence," their attacker gritted out from behind him. He loosened the knife that had been poised in front of his throat. 

Azriel managed to gasp out, "Tamlin, please stop." 

The Illyrian took in the number of males in the party. They were just three in number, but they looked formidable enough. He glanced down at the Siphon around his neck, but it did not glow. Neither did the ones attached to his knees. A feeling of fear gnawed at him, but he pushed it down. They Siphons expanded his abilities, and the abilities had been earned before the Siphons. 

Tamlin growled menacingly at the group of men that had ambushed them and then stared into Azriel's eyes for a few moments. The beast shifted back into the man. Once he did so, one of the other attackers grabbed him as well.

"Who are you?" the man behind him growled once more.

"Azriel," the Illyrian gasped out. "My name is Azriel."

"Okay, Azriel. Why are you here?" 

"Accident."

Tamlin spoke up at this, "We don't know how we came to be here. One moment, we were on the island of Hybern, and in the next moment, we were here. Wherever here may be."

"I have never heard of Hybern," the man said. "But you have landed in the Queendom of Doranelle. We're taking you to the city of Doranelle. They will know what to do with you there."

Tamlin had scoffed at the word 'queendom,' and Azriel shot him a withering look. 

Tamlin replied, "We have never heard of Doranelle or," he stopped, "its Queen.

The man ignored him, "The city is three days ride from here. You can ride, I presume." 

Azriel and Tamlin nodded and were led beyond their little clearing to a trail with three horses where they were pushed up onto them. The man who had held the knife to Az's neck pulled himself on behind him.

"I am Connall. When we reach the first village, we will get the two of you your own horses. I suggest you behave yourself. Our queen and our court are your best hope of getting to where you belong."

As he promised, the group bought two additional horses for himself and Tamlin. They didn't talk to one another, but the group seemed to work seamlessly. Azriel wondered if they, like Rhysand could communicate mind to mind. By the end of the first day, his hand had completely healed as well as his mind. 

He took the time to survey the country they were riding through. The weather was warm and sunny, and the air seemed to buzz around them. He was glad that Tamlin had shifted that first day, it meant that magic existed in this land. The land was lush and green, and every so often they passed through stone village, very unlike the Night Court. He longed for his Velaris. For his friends. They stopped at night in the nearest villages and were up and riding at dawn.

At dusk on the third day, Azriel asked the dark-haired Connall, "How much longer until we reach your City?"

In the distance, he could hear the roar of a waterfall and the river that flowed over the cliffs.