Chapter 8

Aelin had been in Adarlan for almost two weeks and had heard nothing from Rowan, Gavriel, or even Lorcan. She supposed it didn't matter; she was leaving in two days. When she was not teaching Aidan how to control the magic, her thoughts rotated between missing Rowan, missing her friends, and the arrival of the strangers in Fae territory. 

When she had become queen, she had fortified the defenses around Fae lands so that only Fae and a few others could enter without setting off alarms or being killed instantly. It had taken almost fifty years to set up wards around the entirety of it. 

She was reading a first-hand account of someone going into a "portal" when a young man entered the library carrying an envelope with her name on it. She tore it open, greedy to see Rowan's beautiful scrawl, but it was not his. Instead of news of Doranelle, it was a useless invitation to the King of Adarlan's feast. Aelin groaned, but told the porter that she would indeed attend. It would be the first feast that Aidan would go to after making her "miraculous recovery" as the King called it. 

Hours later, Aelin was seated next to a prissy dignitary from the Southern Continent. Although she had asked the King not to reveal her identity, especially not in front of a room full of annoying emissaries, she had expected to be closer to the head of the table, not in the middle. 

"It is very nice to meet you, Lillian," the southerner said in the common tongue. She had already forgotten the man's name as she inspected the people gathered at the table. The emissary from Terrasen was blatantly staring at her, and she almost hissed. Of course, he would run back to her family and tell them of this encounter. 

Aelin replied in his native language. There was no need for the Terrasen emissary to report on her conversations as well. She loved her family, but she did not need them in her business. 

"You as well. It has been a very long time since I have visited the Southern Continent. Please tell me how it fares," Aelin asked sweetly. There had been rumors of unrest in the south.

The man smirked, "Much better now, actually. We have made a most advantageous alliance. You will probably hear more of it soon. When did you last visit, my lady? You can't be more than twenty five; it couldn't have been so long ago." Aelin smiled, mostly to herself. 

"Honestly, it feels like a lifetime ago. I made a generous donation to the Torre Cesme. They healed one of my closest friends, and I felt like I needed to thank them for that." 

"Aww, yes. The Torre Cesme is one of our greatest accomplishments," he said, slightly pausing. "Our armies are also a great asset." 

"Hmm. I'm sure they are," Aelin replied. Before she could say anymore, the King of Adarlan rose with his goblet. All eyes were on him, except for one set. The man that sat beside him looked directly at her. It was unsettling, but she did not break his stare.

"I would like to thank you all for coming. Tonight, we celebrate the miraculous recovery of my daughter, Aidan Meara. There is no doubt in my mind that she will live a long and happy life. To Aidan Meara," he raised his glass in her direction and drank deeply from it. 

"I'm also extremely happy to announce Adarlan's new alliance with our friends to the South. To cement this new alliance, I'm glad to announce my daughter's engagement to Prince Adrian of Femora." The man beside the King rose and toasted Aidan, but one glance at her told Aelin that she hadn't known of this arrangement. 

"I would also like to thank our family friend Lady Lillian for travelling so far to help heal my daughter. She will only be here a few more days, and then she will be travelling back to her home in Wendlyn. Thank you, Lady Lillian," the King finished. Aelin forced a smile as everyone looked at her. The King took his seat once more and the conversations resumed around the table. From where she was seated, she watched Aidan ask for permission and leave the room. 

"So, you're a healer also, Lady Lillian?" the Southerner asked. She vaguely nodded at him, hoping he would stop talking. "Healers are good with their hands, are they not?" the man put a hand on her thigh. 

Aelin grabbed his hand and hissed under her breath, "We're even better with our teeth. I'm married, and even if I wasn't, I wouldn't let you wipe the dirt off my shoes. You, and the other dogs at this table, disgust me." She squeezed the man's hand, and he howled in pain. 

She rose from the table and stalked away without permission from the King. Mortal or no, the man had sold his daughter to the Southern Continent, where women obeyed their husbands and did not have many, if any rights. He had basically just sold his kingdom, Dorian's kingdom, to Femora. 

The hallways were mostly dark and quiet, but Aelin could hear sobs coming from the library. She followed them into the dark comfort of the books. Aidan was sitting in the seat Aelin had occupied earlier. 

Aidan saw her and said, "You're lucky. You weren't ever forced into a marriage you didn't want."

Aelin gave her a small smile, "No, I wasn't. I was lucky to find Rowan before I ever even considered selling myself to another country for soldiers or money. You don't have to marry him."

"My father said it, so I have to."

"I don't think Fate would have the most powerful magic wielder in a century marry a lowly prince from Femora of all places. That would be too cruel." Aelin laughed darkly and continued, "I think that Femora is planning something, perhaps trying to conquer Erilea through Adarlan. I won't let you marry him because too many lost their lives freeing it from one evil. I won't let another one take over." 

"What are you going to do to stop it?" Aidan asked.

"What are you going to do to stop it?" Aelin countered.