Chapter 44

Aidan ran a finger along Azriel's dark wing. It had been days since she had made him that first omelette, and she was getting a little bit antsy. There had been no news of Maeve's movements or any news whatsoever. She hadn't seen a single person other than Azriel in days. 

"I wish I had wings," Aidan whispered, planting a kiss on the wing she had been stroking with her finger before rolling out of the bed and walking towards the bathroom. 

"Where are you going?" Azriel asked, sitting up on his elbows. 

"To take a bath," she said and waved him off. 

As she disappeared into the bathroom, she heard Azriel call, "Do you need my help?"

"Absolutely not!" she yelled cheerfully. 

When she emerged from the bathroom in her towel, she made a beeline for the leather bag that had somehow managed to stay with her throughout the portal jumping and winnowing. She opened it to find another dark tunic, just like the ones Aelin wore, some food packages, which she hated herself for not thinking about in Maeve's cell, and piece of cotton cloth, maybe for bandages, she thought. 

She pulled the tunic over her head and found a hairbrush on the table in the corner. 

As she brushed it out, she said, "Are you going to take me to Velaris sometime?"

He smiled at her mischievously and said, "I don't really know if that will be a good idea."

"Why not?" Aidan asked, narrowing her eyes. 

"Sometimes newly mated males can get a little possessive...," Azriel trailed off. 

"So, you're not going to take me home?" she asked again, rolling her eyes at him this time. 

As he bent down to pick up his shirt, he said, "I didn't realize you thought of Velaris as home."

"If Velaris is your home, then Velaris is my home. As I hope you think of Rifthold."

Azriel straightened and said, "Honestly, I haven't really thought of Adarlan or you being its queen since we leaped through that portal together." 

"Hmm. Does this make you King now?" Aidan asked, biting her lip. 

He moved across the room and placed his hands on either side of the chair moving his face right in front of her. 

"Do you want me to be your King?" he breathed. 

"No," she said, pushing him away.

"No?" he asked, incredulously.

"No. You have to brush your teeth first. And bathe. And then I might consider you for the position," she laughed, pointing to the washroom. 

He frowned but followed her directions. 

A few hours later, Azriel was dropping her down on the balcony at the House of Wind in Velaris. From what she could see of the city, she was not disappointed by his many descriptions of his home. Hundreds of boats were docked at the harbor, and a variety of scents reached her nose as they flew over the Market Squares. 

"It's beautiful here!" Aidan yelled over the rushing wind. 

She knew Azriel had heard her correctly, and she rolled her eyes when he yelled back, "I know you're beautiful!"

He slowed down as they reached the House and gently landed on the balcony. Holding onto her one hand, he showed her some of the rooms, finally entering one with a large dining table and several people occupying chairs around it. 

One of the males stood and extended a hand for them to sit, "I'm Rhysand, the High Lord of Night. I have so much to thank you for."

"It was nothing. Anyone would have done it," Aidan answered, uncomfortable with the unwavering stares of the people around her. 

"That's the thing. Not everyone would have done it. In my mind, you saved me three times, Aidan Ashryver Havilliard. Once when you interrupted the Blood Oath. Once when you winnowed my mate and unborn child away. And once when you came back for me," Rhys said. "It seems I owe you three life debts."

"It's fine, I promise," Aidan said, squeezing Azriel's hand hard under the table. 

"It also seems that congratulations are in order," Feyre said, and Aidan turned to the only familiar face in the room. "Congratulations on your mating." 

The others around the table offered up a congratulations and their names as they raised their glasses to them. Cassian, Nesta, Amren. 

A small blonde actually stood up from her spot and gave Aidan an awkward hug saying, "I'm Morrigan! Welcome to the family, Aidan!"

Sensing her discomfort, Azriel asked, "Have we heard anything about Maeve yet?"

"I've had a few reports. None of them are good. She's burned six villages to the ground along the Spring, Day, and Autumn borders. Hundreds of Fae dead," Cassian said. 

When Azriel asked what the plan of action was, the six of them launched into a heated debate over what to do next. 

A thought bubbled into Aidan's head, and she said quietly, "I think we need to visit the Day Court's library."

Conversation stopped as if she had shouted it. 

"Why?" Azriel asked, curious and confused. 

"There's a prophecy out there about how to defeat Maeve. We need to find it," Aidan answered. 

"Based off of what? A few words Helion carved into the ashwood cell walls?" Azriel countered, bringing their intertwined hands up to his mouth. 

Aidan untangled their hands and looked around the table helplessly. 

Feyre spoke up, "She's right. Before I was captured, the Suriel told me of a prophecy about a Fae warrior from a different realm, divided, fire and ice, light and dark. You, Aidan. Suriels can't lie. I think going to the library is our best shot."

"So, we go to the library and find the prophecy and then what?" Morrigan asked.

"We kill the Queen."

Hey everyone! This really wasn't where I expected this chapter to go, it ended up getting too long for me to do everything I wanted to, so the next chapter will also be Prythian. I'm just going to be shifting my outline a little bit to match this. I'm estimating five more chapters and maybe an epilogue depending on if you guys want one! Have a great night!