Dinner Amongst Wolves

Agitated did not begin to encompass the atmosphere of the humming dining hall within Kattegat's keep. Witticisms somehow kept within civil tongues amidst both women. Bjørn at his mother's side while Eleri bid her time silently one step behind Aslaug at all times. Residing at the grand hewn table used normally for larger scale feasts, Aslaug insisted it would suit the two parties better than say a small nook elsewhere. In reality she reveled in flaunting what was her in front of the encroaching woman and husband's previous wife.

While Ivar had been graciously tethered into staying by his mother's side. It was Ragnar who still remained vacant from the activities even as everyone filed in to sit for dinner. The seating arrangements holding hopes to defuse the tension but little could be done about the semblance gathered around the table.

Once more claiming one of the two vacant seats in the middle of the table, Aslaug was joined with Ivar one chair opposite on her right. And unexpectedly at her request, Eleri on her left. Across from Aslaug sat Bjørn, with the intent to get through the dinner as quietly as he could. Lagertha facing the empty chair that was supposed to be Ragnar's but leaving the woman more contact with the youngest son and not the belated King.

Sullen and quiet Eleri was sealed with no intentions of talking. Grateful when Sigurd in fact was seated next to her and neither Hvitserk or Ubbe. Less happy that Ubbe still sat in front of her with Hvitserk on the empty side of Bjørn. Well suited since the second oldest was the one who needed to listen in on any inquiries regarding the trip.

Merit over the excursion was simple. Nothing hidden up Bjørn's sleeve, how he preferred it and leaving little for Aslaug or Lagertha to tussle verbally over. Laying out their route again, jesting over the company and banter over the general prospect of vikings expanding their land. Never it coming into light why Lagertha had accompanied her son or what her idea was after bidding her only child off on his expedition in the next morning. This quip was easier settled than the wordless glances and whispered exchanged on the left of the table.

Harsh blue eyes set in on Eleri like a hungry wolf, Ubbe did not partake in what Hvitserk was speaking with Bjørn or anyone else. He instead centered on the muted varagain seated before him. Brisk glances being swapped once in a while. Longer looks casted when Ubbe took a drink from his mead. Those glances only being met with a tight lipped Eleri laconic with a shake of her head and not meeting his eyes. Her tartness upsetting the viking wishing this charade of flaunting power would be done and over with so he could address the pestering voices in his head.

Ubbe could not get away with leaning in to whisper to Eleri, but Sigurd could. During the counterfeit laughing between rivals, Sigurd leaned over to the varagain's personal space to keep his voice low, "...did my mother hire you to kill my father?"

Ticked by the questioned posed to her during the meal, Eleri felt Ubbe's attentive gaze when she curled around to Sigurd's inquiry. A slight tighten in her lips and Eleri glanced over at Ubbe who refrained from any words. In great discretion Eleri lowered her head and spoke softly, "Your mother did not hire me to kill anyone, as it stood he was presumed dead anyways by her."

Unfaltering expression Sigurd listened with intent but not obtusely engrossed in a side bar, "Do you intend to kill him then?"

A low sough left the woman's lips, "...as it stands my personal resolve is regardless. I am here completing a job for Kattegat's Queen." The look Sigurd gave her immediately clarified he assumed his father's death was part of that job, of course Eleri shook her head, "It does not include your father's death by anyone's hands but his own."

A weird sigh of relief came from the second youngest. Not sure if it was really for his father's well being or if it was the lack of possible conflict that would ensue if Ragnar were killed on Kattegat soil. Shifting from the curly blond aside her, Eleri caught a look at Ubbe. The strain in his face of antsy nerves and a clear desire to be elsewhere. Not feasible though Eleri knew her fonder with the Queen's oldest would be set aside for the time being until this clash of interests disappeared and the shieldmaiden left city limits.