Hvitserk's Return

"Check berth for port side!" manning the helm of the seafaring ship above all else on deck was Bjorn Ironside. Hoisted up with a view of the harbor coming to proximity he commanded the men he'd shared his vessel with for the past four months with to their stations for a smooth entry into the well known calm waters around Kattegat, "Above-board now! C'mon men same drill as always! I know you're all ready to see your families-"

"Bjorn," Hvitserk, shouldering his new favorite fur lined shawl so it settled on his broad shoulders, looked up the deck at his half brother, "The carrion bird from two days ago, it's-"

The look the toe head blonde shot him was silencing in seconds. Nothing of the vision seen on the voyage had been discussed in length. Nor the tell tale sigil of the lingering raven they'd both seen sailing back. Holding his older brother's gaze for a moment before Hvitserk lowered his hazel eyes and cast them back on the nearing view of home. All those that meant, his brothers, mother, even in hopes the varagain. Pardon the fact Hvitserk felt the knot of worry in his stomach growing when the idea of sparing the omen he'd seen out at sea. Hopes that Bjorn would take the lead and convene in on the gut sinking feeling about their father.

More gargled commands from Bjorn with the men heaving ropes and lowering sails when the soft current carried the ship within the fjord. Hefting himself up on the lower lip of the hull. Hvitserk grabbed to stable himself by one of the hanging ropes. Perfect place to see the faces of those home. Faces lighting up as he sure his would when eyes laid on the ones he'd been gone from so long.

Overcasted with a gloomy fog like feeling, Kattegat's dock came into view. Straining his eyes hard only resulted in Hvitserk seeing none of the hopes he'd wished for. Not a single line up of faces he'd anticipated. In fact the lack of faces concerned the viking.

Lagertha, Ubbe and Ivar. Not another soul.

'Mother? Eleri, Sigurd?' worry rolling over in his mind only caused the sourness in Hvitserk's stomach to grow. Sparing Bjorn a sideways glance as the ropes tethering the ship and the deck was extended out to the harbor, Hvitserk leary of his half brother saying nothing. Keeping thoughts receded in his mind Hvitserk outwardly wore a look of worry for when his eyes met with Ubbe's. His older brother on the docks frowning and lowering his head.

Filing off the vessel in no order except Bjorn descending first, Hvitserk hung back watching before his turn to leave came to. Bjorn greeting his mother just as they had when they'd left. The petite shieldmaiden taking the huge, tall son of hers into a bear hug and coddling him as though he was an infant again. Watchful Hvitserk was lost in thought when his uncle clapped him on the shoulder and smiled, "It's bad luck to be the last off the ship Hvitserk." Bearing a poor excuse for a smile at his uncle Rollo's remark, Hvitserk hopped down from his stand and filed in with the men leaving the boat.

A waiting as he had when he left, Ubbe was the first to beam a huge grin at his brother and take the viking into the tightest of hugs. Hvitserk no slouch as he crushed himself against his older brother. Being gone from him nearly as painful as the home sickness that had settled on the last leg of their journey. Reunited it was certain they'd be attached at the hip for some time. That was if the varagain was no longer within the city. Truly returning to the drone of life if she'd left.

"...Mother?" Hvitserk frowned fretful at his brothers. Ivar seated beside his brother just as an odd sight thinking there was no way unless the raven's message was indeed right and Ragnar had truly made it to the gates.

Dropping his gaze Ubbe squeezed Hvitserk's shoulder, "...Lagertha has ruled for nearly as long as you've been gone now..."

"What?" horrified hearing this Hvitserk snapped around to see the woman down the dock with her son telling of their exploits together, "Lagertha?"