Extinguishing Truths

A tedious day drew on within the walls of Kattegat's Long House. Eleri at Lagertha's side right from the crack of dawn. With Ivar's arrival stirred the question of Ragnar's existence. This tell tale from the youngest son of King Ecbert surrendering Ragnar over to King Aelle sent a murmur amongst Lagertha's court. Even Astrid repeatedly asking in private what the shieldmaiden intended to do with her estranged husband.

Quiet about the subject with her mate didn't stop Lagertha from approaching the intuition in her mind for some declaration of war from the south on the viking clans of the north. Despite it being Ragnar's life that was in question, Lagertha knew Kattegat's influence was too grand to play coy with such a trivial plan. Requesting her generals along with Eleri's information about the south, Kattegat's Queen mapped out possible threats and what should or shouldn't be done if either King decided to place a foothold in the viking territory.

"Is this a rescue mission?" one of the dower shieldmaiden flicked her eyes over the map spread out over the grand table. Woman on all sides scouring the map as far down south as the uncharted Mediterranean sea where Lagertha's son was to be returning from.

Stale about the question that had been asked of her half a dozen times by different individuals caused a low sigh to pass the Queen's lips, "...no, this has nothing to do with Ragnar being held." A tart snort from Astrid who hung behind the meeting table. Lagertha not sparing the woman a look as it would only cause more contention between lovers. Instead standing back erect and taking in a deep breath Lagertha composed a civil answer, "Ragnar chose his own fate, this calls into question not his well being, but the well being of our people. What use could they possibly have to harbor and kill the man if not out of spite and a declaration of war."

"Do you plan on fighting them my Queen?" across the table a older, a seasoned warrior looked up at her ruler in question.

"I plan on doing what is best for my people," Lagertha looked down her nose at the skepticism amidst the table. Casting a look beside her left where Eleri stood mute and collected in the discussion, "People will be angry, our people. They will want revenge for the Great Ragnar if these men kill him in cold blood. None of you can deny this."

"So we seek him in the kingdom?" one popped off.

"We fight only if they kill him," another side of the two points of view interjected.

"Our men and women looked up to him."

"He was nothing but an outcast and a failure."

This exchanged went on and on. Two sides of the same coin mulling past intervening or waiting to act. Saddled in the middle of this only reminded Eleri her disdain for the collective mentality. While Lagertha tried to play median for the gatherings vocalizations, it was hard for none of them to bring up the past tied to their Queen with the man in question. As well as the first son of Ragnar, her only child, Lagertha's personal interest in seeing her child's father alive or dead after all these years was brought to light.With Bjorn's return imminent there was some discord of how things would progress when the Queen's son was back in Kattegat. Also taking in skepticism to Bjorn's reaction to this unknown news about his father. Eleri apathetic about the communions words since she'd been listening to them go around the table for some two hours about these factors.

Beyond the sanction of the table, Eleri's eyes fluttered to the movement in the doors previously sealed shut when the assembly began hours ago. Guards entering first discouraged the woman discussing with Lagertha to linger at the intruding presence. Eleri on contrary elated in the simple fact she saw the guards meant it was nearing midday and they were bringing in the group of the late Aslaug's sons.

Odd, Ubbe and Sigurd followed side by side, but there was no Ivar. Eleri's last look at the trio was when she woke before dawn at Lagertha's request for a few errands. Sigurd and Ivar asleep and a groggy half awake Ubbe getting a sparse kiss in the dark morning light before Eleri retreated to her duties and the son went back to sleep.