Chapter 14

The days passed slowly, turning into weeks, and then months

The days passed slowly, turning into weeks, and then months. Benjamin healed tremendously on the outside, and he was eventually left with long but faint scars on each leg. I had done everything I could possibly think of to make the scars lessen, and I was proud of my work.
His bones, however, were still shattered and he remained bedridden, much to his frustration. Nevertheless, he was closer to the day when he'd finally be able to walk.
Each day, I would pick up his work from the bank he was president of and deliver messages to the Litchfield post office in the general store about what their absent postmaster wanted them to know. I became good friends with all of them, and Mr. Hammond stopped charging me for the books I bought for Benjamin because it brought him so much joy to select them each week.
"Darling," Benjamin called from upstairs when he heard the door close behind me, "I beg your company with me. All the laundry can wait; your poor husband is going mad!"
I smiled and removed my cloak, sliding my hand along the banister as I made my way up the stairs.
Sitting on the edge of the bed, he kissed my hand with a twinkle in his eye. "You've turned me into a dreadful romantic, Louisa. I would have never been caught saying words like 'darling,' but you're so enchanting, I feel as though it would be a falsehood to simply call you Louisa. You're my lovely, darling wife who has me truly henpecked, and I wouldn't have it any other way."
I laughed and laid across him on my back, putting my hand to my forehead as though I was about to faint at the offense. "Don't make fun," I said, slipping my hand into his, "you wouldn't go around to ale houses and buttock balls even if I wasn't your wife, you know that. You aren't the same little college sprout excited to have someone of the 'fairer sex settled under you,' now are you?"
He chuckled. "Don't worry. That was all talk and no action in those old letters...Nathan encouraged me and I encouraged him. Besides, she would have been settled over me, for she was going to dwell in the second loft...but she never came anyway."
"Benjamin Tallmadge and Nathaniel Hale: the most unqualified spies the colonies ever did see," I said jokingly, kissing him on the neck.
Just then, there was a knock at the door and I heard the faint sound of horses outside. Jumping from the bed, I hurriedly pinned a cap to my hair for decency and looked out the window curiously.
The most ornate carriage I'd ever seen waited outside, with four beautiful horses that Benjamin would have given anything to ride hitched to the front.
"Ben," I said warily, "did we have guests scheduled to call on us today that I forgot about?"
"I don't believe so, love, but you know how the ladies love to surprise you here in Litchfield, hmm?"
I rolled my eyes and gathered up my petticoats, hurrying down the stairs as quickly as I could.
For a moment, right before I opened the door, I thought of Simcoe. He was the governor of Ontario now; it would make sense for him to travel in such a fashion. Perhaps he didn't know that baby Maria had been killed in his first attack and was back to fulfill his promise to come for our child as well. The thought made me ready to be sick.
"Who is it?" I called out, reaching quietly for the iron stick I used to tend the fire leaning against the wall.
"President George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, and Alexander Hamilton." With a gasp, I threw open the door to reveal the three men standing beside a footman who seemed to have been the one to announce them.
"Oh, General!" I cried, unable to help myself, "How wonderful to see you after all these years! I thought you all were someone else but...And Alexander, I'm so glad you've come! Mr. Jefferson, it is my honor to meet you; I've heard so much about you."
Stunned at this sudden turn of events but trying not to forget myself, I curtsied clumsily and invited them inside, suddenly embarrassed by the sugar on the kitchen table and the disarrayed pillows on the chairs in the parlor.
"Mrs. Tallmadge," Jefferson said, taking my scarred and still not fully-healed hand and bowing to kiss it, "it is my pleasure to meet you, and such a lovely home, also."
"I sincerely apologize for the lack of warning," the President said with a smile, "but the kind man at the general store said you were not usually busy in the afternoons. Are you and Major Tallmadge well?"
I nodded as I tucked a stray piece of blonde hair back into my tightly curled hair. "We are," I said, smiling at how confused Benjamin must be at the moment upstairs, "although he is still unable to walk. Now, gentlemen, you certainly aren't here to see me, are you? Why don't you come upstairs and speak to my husband, much better company than a housewife."
      Jefferson chuckled and straightened his waistcoat, saying, "You are wonderful company, I'm sure. Probably better than that headstrong husband of yours I've heard so much about, don't you agree, Hamilton?"
We all laughed as I guided them upstairs. Alexander whispered into my ear as he came up beside me, "I know you're charmed by his flattery; but don't let him fool you. He's wrong about everything."
I smirked and rolled my eyes with a grin. "I hope you and Benjamin don't make it too obvious how much you hate the poor man, he's-"
"Don't worry, Lou," he interrupted cheerfully, still in a whisper, "he already knows how much I detest his beliefs, any friend of mine is probably an enemy of his anyways. Ben and I will keep him in line."
I scoffed and opened the door slightly, trying to give Benjamin a few seconds of warning before letting the President of the United States into our room.
At the sight of his commander, he jumped into a better posture and shot me a glance of incredulity. I shrugged and grinned silently, standing in the corner as the three most important people in our new country stood before him.
     "Mr. Tallmadge," Thomas Jefferson said, "I don't believe we've met. I've heard much about you from many people; you're close with Mr. Hamilton, yes?"
     "I am, sir," Benjamin stammered, suddenly sounding like a meek, 21 year old, new Head of Intelligence once again, "I apologize for my appearance; I didn't know anyone was coming to call today."
Washington laughed. "We didn't either. Yesterday, we dined with some gentlemen from New Hampshire and he," the President motioned to Alexander, "mentioned that it would be a short detour to visit you. I hope you don't mind, Major."
     "Do forgive me," I said softly, curtsying and heading towards the door, "I won't disturb any longer."
     Washington stood up and cried, "Wait! Can't you stay?"
I was perplexed. There was no reason that I would ever take part in a political conversation like this. I wouldn't know what to talk about.
"I—If you would like me to, Your Excellency," I stammered, sitting in a chair on the other side of Benjamin.
"There's no need to call me that anymore, dear Louisa," he said with a smile, "I'm just Mr. President now."
I laughed anxiously and let the conversation progress without much input from me. They talked of Simcoe's attack, the national debt and placement of our national capital, and trivial things like the price of a good waistcoat nowadays.
Of course, Benjamin always included me in his thoughts and conversations on politics. But other men were not usually as generous and I'd received many indignant glances when I didn't remove myself from such a conversation quickly enough. And I didn't usually mind; it was better than being ridiculed for disagreeing. Besides, I would rather talk about geopolitical issues than domestic politics.
     "So, dear Louisa," Washington said, turning to me, "do you miss being Agent 270?"
     Benjamin looked at me with raised eyebrows, amusement evident on his face at my discomfort at being included.
"Oh, General—excuse me—Mr. President, I miss the life of intelligence more than anything. If you're ever in need of a presidential spy, we are always available." They all laughed.
     After almost three hours of good conversation and reminiscing, they bid us farewell and thanked us for our hospitality. 

I embraced Washington and whispered into his ear, "Thank you, sir. You gave me a chance in the war, and I owe everything else since that moment to you. Will you come back some time, Mr. President?"

He kissed my hand and nodded gently as the footman held open the carriage door for him. "I want you to know," he said quietly, "that I have a team of twenty of my most trusted men working to bring Colonel Simcoe to justice. If they hear anything of his activities, you will be the first to know. It is supremely difficult because he is in Canada."

"I understand. Thank you, sir. It means so much to us both."

Alexander kissed me on both cheeks and bowed, saying, "It is wonderful to see you once again; until next time, mon ami?" I smiled.
     "Mr. Jefferson," I said, "it has been a delight making your acquaintance. I wish you well in all future endeavors, sir." 

He tipped his cocked hat with a grin and thanked me before the carriage door closed. 

As their carriage disappeared down North Street, I rushed back inside and upstairs, squealing like a little girl and jumping beside Benjamin.
     "Ben!" I cried, giggling, "Did that just happen? President Washington just came into our house after all these years and you didn't even have a shirt on! And the Secretary of State, the very man that Alex and you decide to slander every time you are together, just sat in that chair! And all my childhood, I thought my married life would be normal!"
     Benjamin laughed and shook his head in amazement. "I could not have been less prepared for that."
I sat beside him on the bed and looked at him excitedly. "Would you like to try to stand today?"
He furrowed his eyebrows. "I would love to but," he hesitated, "are you sure that I can?"
"Of course not! But there's no time like the present to learn. Come on."
Putting my arm around him and gently shifting his legs so that his feet barely touched the ground, I kissed him on the cheek and whispered, "Just hold onto me. I won't let you fall."
     He leaned heavily against me and, gripping my shoulder as though his life depended on it, stood shakily. "It hurts, Lou," he managed, squeezing me harder, "I can't; it hurts too much. You've got to let me sit-"
I shook my head. "You can do it, my love! You're doing so great. Just walk to the other side of the room with me."
Benjamin was breathing hard and trying not to cry but he was truly walking, for the first time in over six months. "Louisa, I'm doing it," he exclaimed, sweat beading on his forehead, "It hurts, but I'll be able to walk now, right?"
I laughed a little and shrugged as he took a heavy step. "Well, I fear it will be a longer process than you are currently imagining, Ben, but yes...eventually."
We reached the other side of the room and he looked at me mischievously. "Shall I escort you downstairs, Madame?"
"You want to try to walk downstairs?"
"If you'll allow me, dear doctor Tallmadge. As long as you'll rub my legs when I get down to the parlor."
I laughed loudly and helped him stumble into the hallway. "You have my promise."
His knuckles were white as he held me, triumphant pain on his face as he hobbled onto the first stair step.
"Old Simcoe can't," he grimaced as he lost his footing on one of the stairs, "keep me in bed for the rest of my life. I'll be up and riding horses again, won't I, love?"
I nodded, smiling at how accomplished he felt. He'd finally begun to conquer the curse Simcoe had forced upon him.
     After much struggle, we reached the final step. He limped into the parlor and collapsed on the chaise lounge, holding his legs in pain and exhaustion.
     "I'd forgotten how big our house was," he said, running his hand along the marble fireplace and looking up at the ceiling, "I've missed it."
     I sat beside him on the lounge and massaged his scarred legs as gently as I could, satisfied with all he had done. Before, I had worried that he would never walk again. I had so much hope now.
     "How shall we celebrate this triumphant return, Benjamin?" I said, grinning at his happiness.
     "If I could only have the blessing of a devoted wife," he said with a flourish of his arms, "Someone I didn't deserve at all who would take care of me when I was a selfish, bilious Captain, or entertain me when I was stuck in bed for six months, or rub my legs after encouraging me to do something I never would have done without her. But where could I ever find such a marvelous woman?"
     I pulled the ribbon from his hair, letting it fall around his face, and pressed my lips to his.
     "Ah yes," he said, taking my cheek in his hand, "I do believe I've just found her."

Booiiiiiii yall better be proud of my updating skills I was up at three in the morning last night thinking up a new upcoming idea that y'all are gonna HATE AND LOVE hehe