Chapter 26

*p.s.a. georges is pronounced the same way as george it's just with a french accent lol ur welcome in advance

     "Mother," I heard as I laid in bed, trying to fall asleep, "may I come in?"
     Groggily, I turned over to light the candle on the bedside table and found four year-old Samuel standing anxiously in the threshold.
     "Of course. What's wrong?"
     He ran up and jumped onto the bed, putting his arms around my neck with excitement. A few moments later, rapid, flustered French-speaking echoed in the hallway and Georges de Lafayette hurried in sheepishly, holding two year-old Ruth and five month-old Lydia.
"I'm so sorry, Louisa," he said, almost out of breath, "I tried to stop him. They insisted on-"
I held up a hand and laughed a little, taking the girls from his arms and holding Samuel close.
"It's quite alright, Georges; I don't mind. I wasn't sleeping anyways."
He'd been staying with us for a few months in the wake of Philip Hamilton's death. The Marquis's son was a great help with teaching the children French, and a companion for both Benjamin and I.
With a room beside the nursery, the children loved waking him up in the middle of the night to play games or wrestle with him. He always said he didn't mind, but I could always see the dark circles under his eyes the next morning.
"Is Papa coming home soon?" Samuel asked, taking his sister's hands and swinging them back and forth. I nodded.
     Benjamin was spending time in the new District of Colombia as part of the House of Representatives. Bad weather and flooding had kept him from traveling back last week but, according to his letters, he had begun the trip yesterday morning.
     Georges adjusted his nightshirt awkwardly as he stood in the doorway, and I motioned for him to come in with a smile. "This isn't Versailles, dear. You needn't be afraid of me. Come, sit."
     He chuckled a little and sat on the edge of the bed, winking at Samuel. The two were quite fond of each other.
     "Have you any word about your father? Your mother and sisters are still in prison with him, oui?"
     The young man sighed. "Je déteste ça, Louisa. I hate all of it. You must know how how I appreciate your kindness to me, and I am so glad to have met you. I just wish the Revolution had never happened. I watched my grandmother and aunt face the guillitone, my sisters have been beaten in the middle of Paris, my mother has abandoned her entire life to be with my father in detestable conditions, and here I am. Well-fed, clothed, surrounded by your wonderful family, and safe. Why, Louisa?"
     I pulled him into a hug and I felt a small tear drip onto my chemise as he tried to keep his composure. Despite being bred into poise, restraint, and nobility, he was still a nineteen year-old boy who had lost everything. My heart broke for him. 
     Samuel joined in the embrace and I heard him whisper to his younger sister, "Ruthie, you have to hug mama. Come on; they're sad."
     Georges chuckled a little and playfully rubbed Samuel's head. "C'est bon, mon amie," he told him softly, "It's alright."
     "I ought to let you get some sleep," he said, "Shall I take them with me?"
     I shook my head and rocked little Lydia as she softly talked nonsense to herself. "They'll be fine here; I am tired of being the only one in the room all night."
     "Bonne nuit, Louisa," the son of the Marquis said from the doorway, "À demain. I will see you tomorrow."

     I woke up to rustling clothes in the wardrobe and jumped with a start at the sight of a figure by the window.
    "Don't scream, Louisa," the voice whispered, "It's just me. It's Benjamin. Don't wake the children."
His hand slipped into mine and I heard him chuckle a little. "Why are they all in our bed, my dear?"
Removing the ribbon from his hair and pulling off his shirt, he gingerly crawled onto the bed, careful not to disturb the sleeping children all around me.
"We were all a bit lonely," I said softly, "I didn't think you would make it back so quickly, Calvary boy."
"I gave Highlander all my food and had him ride all day," he grunted, taking Lydia from my arms and kissing my forehead, "I couldn't wait any longer to see you."
Samuel stirred from his place sprawled above my head on the pillow and began to exclaim, "Papa! You're home!"
We both quieted him and I leaned close to his face, whispering, "You can say hello to him, Sam, but you can't wake up your sister. Alright?"
He nodded emphatically and climbed over me to embrace Benjamin. "Did you see President Jefferson?"
     Ben and I exchanged glances and I tried to stifle my laugh.
     "I did," he responded to Samuel, "I spoke with him quite a bit, in fact. He's...quite a character."
     I pulled Benjamin and Samuel down onto the pillow and put a finger to my lips. "Shall we continue this discussion of Federalism in the morning?"
Samuel laughed, although he didn't understand what I was talking about, and nuzzled against me with a deep sigh before falling asleep.
In the dim moonlight, Benjamin winked at me and smiled. Life had settled, and we were finally happy.