𝐓𝐖𝐄𝐋𝐕𝐄

CHAPTER TWELVE | THE DESCENT

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

AFTER THE DRAMA OF ELIJAH'S VISIT TO ELENA'S, RILEY WENT HOME WITH THE INTENTION OF EXPLAINING TO DAMON BUT INSTEAD WAS MET WITH DISASTER. During the day, it seemed Damon had antagonized a werewolf, Jules, who was looking for Mason. Jules had come after Damon, but instead, Rose jumped in the way of Damon and gained herself a werewolf bite in the fall-out.

"I was born in 1450. That makes me five-hundred and sixty years old," Rose spoke softly, a hint of concern lacing her voice. "So, I can die. I've lived long enough."

"You know, if you're going to be maudlin, then I'm just gonna kill you myself just to put me out of your misery." Damon joked as he grabbed a tumbler and poured blood from a blood bag into it. "Come on. It's just a little werewolf bite—"

"—Just a little fatal-to-a-vampire werewolf bite." Rose corrected with a bitter look as Riley shook her head.

"Woah. No. Don't think like that, okay." Riley tried her best to comfort the woman that Damon had seemingly formed some sort of friendship with. "Blood heals, right? So, drink up."

Rose nodded slowly and then hesitantly slipped the blood from the glass Damon had handed her. After a few sips, she nodded slowly. "Yeah. It does feel like it's working."

"Let's have a look. Come on." Damon told the vampire as she turned around to let Riley and Damon examine her werewolf bite. Riley slid the arm of her dressing gown to the side to reveal the werewolf bite— worse than before. "Definitely better. Right, Riles?" Damon raised an eyebrow in the girl's direction.

"Yeah. Yeah, it's not bad." Riley shook away the guilt that appeared to wash over her face and replaced it with a smile in an attempt to set Rose's mind at ease.

The sudden appearance of Elena entering the room caused Damon to raise an eyebrow toward the female. "Where's Stefan?"

"He left." She breathed aloud. "I need you to talk to him. He's convinced that he has to find Isobel but I think that's gonna upset Elijah."

"God. Really?" Riley exhaled in disbelief as Elena nodded. "He wouldn't listen to you?"

"I'm with Stefan on this one," Damon stated as he began to refill Rose's tumbler with blood. "But, if you and Riley could play nurse for a little while—" Damon's gaze flickered between both females.

"It's not necessary." Rose shook her head, desperate not to be a burden on anyone.

"It is necessary. Elena is a do-gooder. It's in her nature, she just can't resist." Damon smirked softly, then his eyes flickered to Riley. "And, Riley, well, I couldn't think of anyone better to nurse me back to health." He wandered over to the Evans witch and dragged her away. "Any problems, you call me, okay?"