𝐅𝐎𝐔𝐑𝐓𝐄𝐄𝐍

CHAPTER FOURTEEN | CRYING WOLF

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

SINCE JULES' ATTACK ON CAROLINE, STEFAN SUGGESTED THE GIRLS HAVE A SLEEPOVER TO TRY AND HELP HER FEEL BETTER. And, in true best friend fashion, the four teenagers spent the entire evening watching movies, eating junk, and just generally having a good time despite the impending doom that was looming over them like a dark cloud in the sky. Riley was the first to fall asleep; she always was at a sleepover. Then, it was Caroline, followed swiftly by Bonnie and Elena.

Though they were sleeping soundly, the girls were woken by Elena's phone call with Stefan. The couple had planned a romantic getaway to Elena's parent's lakehouse. And, Riley knew that with Stefan gone, she needed to make sure Damon did nothing stupid now more than ever.

As the witch stepped back into the Salvatore house with her bag over her shoulder, her brows furrowed when she saw Damon seated on the couch. "You're here?" Riley trailed off slowly as she slammed the door behind her. "You're here. And, you're not doing anything Damon-like."

Once the words had fallen from Riley's lips, Damon turned himself around on the couch to make eye contact with her. "What's that supposed to mean?"

"Well, since Stefan's out of town, I—"

"—You assume that I'm gonna be doing something stupid." Damon trailed off whilst the witch slowly nodded. "Nice."

Riley rolled her eyes and dropped herself from on the couch beside the vampire. She raised an eyebrow when she saw his attention drop back to the tumbler of bourbon in his hold. "So, aren't you? Doing something stupid, I mean."

"Actually, I was waiting for you." The Salvatore suddenly smirked just as he lifted himself up to his feet and grabbed a bizarre-looking dagger that was left on the mantle. "So, John gave me this to kill Elijah. Apparently, you have to dip the dagger the remains of an old White Ash tree that dates back to the Originals."

"John? As in Jackass-John." Riley's gaze flickered between the old-looking dagger and Damon.

"John. As in Elena's creepy uncle-slash-father, John. Yeah." The Salvatore confirmed with a slight nod. "And, it just so happens that there's a Historical Society event at the Lockwood's today. Guess who the guest on honor is."

The witch furrowed her brows, completely dumbfounded but then it hit her. "No. Damon, no. You can't kill Elijah in front of a boat-load of people."

"Of course not. That would be stupid." Damon scoffed, a devilish smirk on his face. "I want to know his endgame before I kill him. But, I do think it's time Elijah and I officially met. You feel like comin' with me?"

"Do I have a choice?" The witch answered back, a hopeful look in her eyes. All Riley wanted was one day where she wasn't roped in the supernatural drama.