Chapter 18: Stay

"What about pumpkin seeds?"

"Sure. If we don't decide to save 'em we could eat them," Sam sighs. "It's been so long since I've actually had pumpkin seeds."

"Same here," Summer laughs, putting a packet or two in her bag and handing a few for me to put in mine. "Hey, Five, have you picked out any favorites?"

I shrug. 'I've become okay with about anything and everything since the apocalypse started.'

"I guess you're right, although I still can't stand radishes." Her face becomes pinched. "Those things are disgusting."

I smile in amusement at Summer's words. She's a few years older than me and Caleb, but I've grown closer to her since being interrogated by Evan and Janine. She's by no means a close friend, but she is still a friend-a somewhat friend.

Yes, that's it. That's the word I'll use to keep myself from having a mental breakdown due to the fact I know I'm getting too close to too many people and even though I know the consequences of letting myself do so anyway.

"You know I can't see what Five's signing," Sam speaks. "There are no cameras in here."

"Well maybe she doesn't want you do know what are said," Summer sasses with a grin.

"Uh-huh. Sure." I can practically feel the sarcasm in his voice. "Have you gotten everything?"

"Just about all the fruit and vegetable seeds we could find. Five shoved a few gardening tools in her bag. I think we could maybe fit a small bag of fertilizer in mine, should I go for that?"

"Might be best," Sam answers. "We probably won't be coming back here anytime soon."

"Got it." She nods, walking over to the aisle that holds the mulch and fertilizer.

I stay where I am, glancing around at the unwelcoming store. It still has that fresh gardening store smell-which is surprising after all this time-but with the light only coming from the outside and the coolness that comes in as winter approaches gives the building an eerie, mysterious feeling.

I grab at my backpack strap in nervousness.

"Okay," Summer states as she returns. "I shoved in the smallest one I could find. Will probably only be able to fill up a pot though."

"That's fine. Just hurry back."

"Sure thing."

I start to move towards the exit but a cool hand wraps around my wrist. I look back at the tan skinned girl who's giving me a look of curiosity. I raise a brow as she brings her free hand up to cover her mic.

"Runner Five, you're friends with one of those guys from Brunswick, right? Caleb?" I nod slowly, prying my wrist from her grasp. Summer's eyes flash with sympathy. "You know they're scheduled to leave today, right?"

I try not to wince at her reminder, but I fail. My eyes are trained to the floor, not wanting to see the sympathy in her eyes. It only seems to make it worse in my opinion.

Leaving the day of no important runs, so nothing could get in the way-smart move. With winter approaching and the days getting colder and colder, today and the next few are all scheduled for supply runs-books for entertainment, food to eat, and lumber and tools to build buildings for the residents of Abel to stay in and keep out the cold; We will have to share, but it's either that or sleep in a freezing tent.

I knew they would be leaving before we even got back, which is why I volunteered for this mission exactly. Goodbyes are never fun-never easy, so I would rather not say them at all. A dastardly thing to do, I know. It's cowardice, but I'd rather not have to say goodbye to one of the few friends I've made since I lost my voice.