Chapter 38: Visiting Van Ark

"Runner Five, Runner Eight, ready?" Sam asks.

"Ready!" Sarah grins as I give a thumbs up.

"Alright then. Raise the gates! Covering fire... and go!"

We run out of the gates as always, although this time I have to jump to the side as a nearby zombie tries to sink its teeth into my shoulder, but the only thing that gets on my shoulder is the grey-red blood of the zombie as a sniper shoots it in the head.

I shudder at the feeling as Sarah grins cockily. "Looks like a couple of those zoms were a bit too close to the gates. Nearly got Five. I guess you're happy the guys on the roof got them, aye?"

I narrow my eyes at her as Sam speaks, "Yeah, they always do. Well, almost do. Heh, there was this one time with that bloke who claimed to be a sharp shooter."

Maxine laughs lightly. "But it just meant he played a lot of Red Redemption."

I roll my eyes and shake my head. Some people can be so stupid.

"Yeah, turns out there's no auto-aim in real life."

"Shame. Okay, you all clear on where you're going?"

"Yep. Yep," He answers. "I've briefed everyone. Straight down to Pro. Van Ark's house."

'Since you say you barely knew the guy, how do you know where he lives?' I question with a raised brow.

There's a mumbling of Sam translating my Morse Code before Maxine immediately answers. "Paula got invited to a cocktail party there once; We both went. It's a pretty fancy place."

I nod. I can imagine with him being a scientist and a genius and all that. I'd find it hard to imagine him living in a mobile home.

"You have to go on a bridge over a ravine to get to it," She continues. "He had it specially built."

"And we're looking for what?" Sarah questions, glancing over at me. I shrug in reply.

"Anything we can find to work out where he might've gone or what he might be doing now."

'But if he wanted to destroy evidence wouldn't he want to get rid of the evidence at his house first?' I question.

"Let's try to give ourselves the benefit of the doubt and try to think we're not too late," Sam stutters. "But uh, Max, why aren't we going back to the lab in Hurtston that we thought was just a Corner Shop? I'm sure the zoms must've calmed down by now."

"We'll get to that eventually," She answers."Runner Five and Runner Eight did look around some while it was still burning. There was clearly more there than just a Corner Shop but um, I should take a look at it myself to see if I can tell what the equipment was used for.

"In the meantime we need to pursue every lead we have, especially if someone is trying to destroy evidence. Pro. Van Ark's house might have some clues."

I sigh through my nose. Might is such a strong word.

"Yeah, it's not too far from here. Should be an easy run." As soon as the words leave Sam's mouth there's a snarl-well, many snarls-that come from behind me.

Sam, you moron. I face palm.

"Has anyone every told you, Sam, never to say, 'it should be an easy run."

He scoffs in reply. "You'll be fine... apart from the zombies."

I swear if I had a voice I'd be doing those high pitched mimicking all children do to their parents. I grab my axe that's strapped to my back and swing it forward at a zombie that's way too close to Sarah. It falls to the ground but I have to rip my axe from its skull to keep from being dragged and essentially slowing me down.