C H A P T E R 1 2

Life is short.
Take the trip.
Buy the shoes.
Eat the cake.

"Only one word; beautiful. This is beautiful," I whispered, my voice barely leaving my lips as I took in the sight in front of me, where I would be living for the duration of my stay at the mansion.

"So, you like it?" Mrs. Jenson asked and I could almost hear the hesitation and nervousness in her voice. It almost made me want to cry seeing the old lady nervous and anxious to know if I liked it or not.

I shook my head at her. "I don't like it, I love it," I corrected, beaming at her, "Mom," I added. I love how the word sounded when I spoke it. I miss my mom.

Mrs. Jenson surprised me by stepping towards me and taking me in a tight hug.

"I'm so glad you're back," she whispered, sighing into my hair. "I missed you so much," she said, pulling back and cupping my cheeks before kissing my forehead. My heart warmed at her motherly affection and although she wasn't my real mother, I was happy. I hugged her back and we stayed like that for a very long time before Olivia walked into the room, coughing to get our attention and we pulled away to see her standing at the doorway awkwardly.

"Hey, come on in," my mom beckoned to Olivia and she stepped into the room, her eyes flying wide open and her mouth almost forming an 'o'. "How is her room?"

"This is so beautiful," Olivia whispered, saying exactly what I had said. Because my room was just that. Beautiful.

My room was big. Bigger than the room I had been staying in. About two times bigger than my old apartment. It was done up in a white and baby pink color combination with smooth white marble tiles and a purple-white design on one of the walls. Pink was not my color, but I wasn't complaining. I didn't have the right to complain either, seeing as I didn't own anything of this. I preferred blue and black. Black, if I had to choose between the two. But the colors wouldn't look cheerful for the room, if any, it would be depressing to look at.

There was a big walk-in closet in my bedroom which was bigger than my bedroom at my old apartment. It had all those big compartments to keep clothes in with a full length mirror with a table on the side. It had a big wall mounted shoe rack, which I was sure would fit more than hundred pairs of shoes. The whole closet interior was also done up in baby pink, which I thought was slightly extreme. Too much pink but okay, I had no right to complain, I reminded myself.

There was a big, queen sized bed with white pillow covers and a large baby pink duvet back in the spacious bedroom. Right on top was a huge chandelier dangling and the wall behind my bed had a simple pink flowers and green branches design. Numerous books were stacked in the shelves and when I asked Mrs. Jenson about it, she told me that she remembered how I loved to read. Seemed like Juliet and I do had a thing in common. I thought we were complete opposites.