C H A P T E R 5 4

A suspicious mind will see evidence of  poison wherever it looks.❞

I tossed and turned all night, not getting a wink of sleep and that was mostly because I had slept for the whole day.

Every time I replayed what had happened, I'd feel bad and guilty. I tried distracting myself by watching a couple of episodes of a show but then I soon got bored of it as it didn't really catch my attention.

It felt like a long night. It was really weird how you could sleep for eight hours on an average and still think that you just slept for a minute but when you're awake for the same eight hours at night it feels long and unending.

Once it was six in the morning, I trudged downstairs feeling much better now. Although I still had a little bit of cold it was still better than what I was feeling the other day.

No one was awake at this time, probably except for Ethan. He must be getting ready for the day.

As expected the kitchen was empty as well. Everyone was sleeping and I tried to be as quiet as possible as I tried to get myself a cup of hot coffee.

Taking the tray with my coffee and a few cookies with me to my room, I set up a chair in the balcony.

Wrapped in a warm blanket and watching a sunrise on a cold morning in a dead silent surrounding with a hot cup of coffee and delicious cookies was my favorite thing.

After I was finished with eating, I didn't even realize when I fell asleep to the astounding sight of the sun gracing us with its warmth and reassurance that there was a next day although I had had coffee which was supposed to do the opposite.

I was woken up when the warmth was too much to bear. That was my cue to shower and get dressed.

At the breakfast table, it was quiet as usual. Olivia, Ethan and I didn't talk at all. All the talking was done by my parents. It was as awkward as it had been these few days.

My parents were talking about my upcoming college plan. When Juliet ran away, she had just graduated from high school and had applied to some colleges. Those were good colleges that she had applied to and got accepted in some, not some ivy leagues but definitely better than the one I was currently in. To my surprise, Juliet was actually better in academics than I was. She was also active in sports, had been the girls basketball team captain in high school and had won quite a few tournaments. But then she ran away and then two years later they found me. Now they're deciding to send me off to college from the month of January. I couldn't do anything about it because that meant more questions. I couldn't tell them that I was already in a medical college in my second year because I was sure they'd investigate into it and chances were high that they'd come across a girl who looks exactly like me and of the same age as their beloved daughter, not knowing that both were the same person. But it wasn't that hard to guess. They could easily put two and two together and then I'd be busted which would land me in big trouble.

I was tempted to abandon my old life and live my new one here. That way I wouldn't even have to worry about money and I'd get to go to a good college, have a fresh start. I knew I was just building up my own world in the air and that nothing like that would actually happen because two people here already knew about me and when Juliet returned, I would've to return to my old life too.

So all I could do as my dad droned on about college was to nod along to it and later try to figure out what to actually do about it, preferably with Heather and Amelia so that I didn't panic and would make a right decision.