C H A P T E R 7 2

It is during our darkest moments that we must focus to see the light.❞

"Tristan," I whispered to his distressed form.

"P-please tell me that was a lie."

I didn't say anything because I couldn't lie to him. He was supposed to find out, just not like this.

He turned back and faced me with teary eyes. My face gave away the fact that no, it wasn't a lie. His face contorted in pain.

He grabbed my shoulders and shook me. "No, please tell me it's all a lie. You-you're playing a prank on me, right? It's not funny. Stop it."

"I'm sorry you had to find it like this." I said quietly.

He let go of me. "No."

He strode forward and walked past me into the room. I followed him.

Olivia looked shocked and scared. "Tristan."

He looked like he wanted to yell but once he was close enough to her, his eyes dropped down to her flat stomach.

"I'm sorry." It pained me to see Olivia so broken, she barely managed to get the words out.

"Why did you do it? Just give me a reason why you didn't tell me. Something that might justify this injustice to me. Anything that might make me feel better."

"I-I had my reasons."

"What are those reasons?"

"You've got to understand. I wasn't sure if you'd want a baby with me. I was scared. I wasn't ready."

"How could you just assume I wouldn't want it? You didn't even think of telling me. You didn't even plan on telling me! You would've never told me if it wasn't for Juliet."

"How much did you hear?"

"Everything."

His eyes kept flickering every now and then to the part of Olivia's anatomy which once held a beautiful baby they had created.

"I was going to tell you soon. You're right. I wasn't going to, but Juliet convinced me and I swear I was going to tell you in a few days."

He rubbed a hand down his face. "Why were you ignoring me all this time?"

"I was afraid you'll know about this and I thought you'd tell me to abort it anyway."

"But why did you think that? What did I do that made you think that way?"

"You didn't do anything. I just thought that you wouldn't want the the news to break out. I thought I'd ruin your image. I was scared I'd be termed as a gold digger. You don't know this but I'm just a college student. I work a part time job and I barely manage to support and care for myself, how could I care for a baby? I couldn't do it. I wasn't prepared for this. Please understand." Olivia pleaded.

"I really wished you would've told me. I would've supported you and our baby. I would've married you if you were okay with that. I love you, Olivia. It started out as a small crush but then I couldn't see myself without you. But I couldn't do anything because you always pushed me away. I thought maybe you didn't like me back so I accepted it. But you hid this from me. I'm hurt." Tristan blinked back tears but he could only keep them at bay for so long. He looked tired.

"My baby," he murmured, closing the distance between him and Olivia and caressing her stomach.

Olivia covered his hand with hers. "I'm so sorry."