7. Run

Shawn's perspective

I lace my shoes, ready to go for a quick run as every Saturday. I take a bottle of water in the fridge and look for my earphones. I then open the door and start to run slowly to the park, not to be already out-of-breath before even beginning.

Once I reach the park, I start jogging at a faster pace. I'm running along the beautiful lake as pearls of sweat already begin to form at my hairline.

I'm controling my breathing carefully until my eyes lay on a girl and her dog. She is also running, her ponytail bouncing on her shoulders and her dog following her. She looks really pretty with a bit of sweat on her forehead and slight cleverage, cheeks flushed and chest raising and falling heavily. She's listening to music, and I can see her singing every word even with the lack of oxygen. I can't help but chuckle at the sight. She's enjoying herself like crazy. It's really funny and weird at the same time. Usually, people don't really enjoy running that much, but she seems to love it. I'm wondering what she's listening to though, it seems really catchy when you look at her.

Because of my eyes on her, I barely fall on the ground when my foot meets the roots of a tree. I decide I've run enough for the day and slow down my pace. I stretch every single muscle of my body to avoid stiffness. Then, I go back home.

Through the day, I haven't stopped thinking about that mysterious girl. She's driving me crazy and she didn't even do anything. I don't even know her name ... Anyway, I have to move on. I probably won't see her anymore. There are so many people in Toronto, and I doubt I can see her again in the same park.

*

The next Saturday

I go to the park for my usual run, and my heart stops when I see the exact same girl than the week before. My legs start to tremble, and I can't focus on anything else.

Once again, her dog is with her and she is singing the lyrics of a song. She seems to be at the end of her training though, because I notice she's slowly slowing down.

*

Week after week, run after run, she is always at the same park, at the same time. We have the same sport schedule by accident, or by chance, I don't know. I thought she hadn't noticed it because I've never seen her looking at me or anything.

But today, it's different.

I'm stretching as always after my jogging when I feel a presence near me. I stand up from my weird position to look around me. I see the gorgeous girl panting heavily probably because she finished to run only a few minutes ago. Her dog starts tugging at the leash, but she is too sore to stop the dog.

"Damn, Hels ! Come here !" She says between deep breaths.

Her voice is so low, and I can hear tiredness in it. The dog doesn't stop tugging so I find the balls to walk towards her and to take the leash from her hands. She looks at me with confusion.

"I will hold it back the time you catch your breath." I smile weakly, trying to sound as normal as possible.

"Thanks." She whispers and gives me back a toothy smile.

She puts her hands on her hips and calms down. A few moments later, she takes back the leash and thanks me once again.

"You're welcome." I smile as I look in her eyes. "You seem to like good music... while you're running." I try to start a conversation clumsily. That's really not my thing.

She blushes a little.

"Oh... You saw me... It's kinda awkward." She replies, scratching the back of her neck.

"Oh no ! Don't feel that way. I mean, I don't find that awkward. I think it's pretty cute actually." I laugh.

She blushes even more, and looks down at the ground.

Gosh, Shawn... Why do you always have to make girls feel uncomfortable ?

I don't have the time to blame myself some more as I step back quickly when I see her dog coming closer to us. It's her turn to laugh.

"He isn't aggressive. He doesn't bite." She says and caresses her dog's head.

"Oh, I'm not afraid of him. I'm just allergic." I say as I look at the cute dog.

"Oh, sorry. Hels, c'mere. Don't walk around... ?" She orders her dog to stop, but cuts herself off when she realizes she doesn't know my name.

"Shawn. Sorry, I didn't introduce myself." I offer her my right hand, she shakes it with a smile on her face.

"Y/N." She responds back.

Once the meetings are done, we stay awkwardly silent until she opens her mouth to speak.

"So... Hum... I think I'm gonna go. It's hot and Hels probably needs to drink." She says, looking at her dog.

"Heum... Yeah, okay. See you maybe another time." I shrug, totally unaware of what to do.

"Mmh. Bye." She hums positively and smiles.

She turns around so her back is facing me, and she starts walking out of the park.

"Y/N !" I yell, taken by a rush of adrenaline.

She turns again to face me and furrows her eyebrows.

"Yes, Shawn ?" She asks.

I walk to reach her level and scratch the back of my neck.

"I was wondering if... if you'd like to go and drink a coffee with me sometime..." I confess.

A bright and big smile appears on her face .

"Yeah, yeah ! Why not ? I'd love too !" She answers, maybe a bit too excited. I chuckle because of her enthusiastic reply, and she blushes again.

"Even if right now, i'd prefer water." She adds, laughing slightly.

I hand her my bottle, but she refuses to drink.

"No, no. I don't want to prive you, there's only a little rest."

"It's ok, you can have it." I force her to take the bottle.

"Thank you. I'll just take a sip."

She drinks and hands me back the bottle.

I pull out a Sharpie from my backpack and write my number on the bottle, then I give it again to her.

"Text me a date that could suit for the coffee. Oh, and drink the rest of water, it's fine." I say before leaving the area, happy to finally know her name.