Chapter 8

It wasn't one of those mornings when you woke up and the sun's rays would come streaming through the windows and touch your eyes gently to make them flutter open. And the peaceful morning light would help you wake you up. And little by little you would start to feel your eyes open. Until you felt fully energized.

This morning was nothing like that.

To tell you the truth, I felt like shit.

I woke up in complete darkness. Curtains were draped heavily in front of the windows letting in no light. I almost thought that I woke up at midnight if it were not for the alarm clock on the night stand that eliminated the numbers 9:00. My body was tangled up in the blankets, and because I couldn't see anything, when I turned my head I hit it on the side table.

So far I could tell this wasn't going to be a good day.

Yesterday's events are in a blur. I remember the needle and Trent carrying me, but after that I don't have a clue of what happened. I usually am not knocked out this long by the shot; they must have made it stronger. And it never had any side effects to it. Right now my head was pounding, or maybe I just banged it on the bed post? I was told by plenty of people that I wasn't a peaceful sleeper. And by "plenty" I mean all of Greg's victims.

I pushed myself in an up-right position as a knock was heard at the door. The sound made my head hurt even more that I couldn't even ask who it was or to tell them to come in. But I don't think I needed to say anything because right after a blonde haired girl walked in. The door was unlocked and I'm sure if I told her not to come in she would have anyways.

What did this castle have against not locked doors?

The girl looked around the same age as me, but I couldn't really tell. She was holding a trey of food and brought it over to the bed I was sitting on. Without looking up she placed the trey on my lap and started walking back to the door.

As the girl walked away I couldn't help but compare her to Kally. Since Kally was the only girl I really knew at this place. Not only was the retreating girl not as happy looking, but she also wasn't pale, and all vampires are pale. By the looks of her tan skin I could tell she was a human. But I thought only vampires worked at the castle? Maybe she was a vampire?

"Wait!" I calmly said as I tried to get her attention.

"Yes," She replied. Her words sounded forced as if she didn't want to talk to me at all. This got me even more curious.

I was going to ask her if she was a human, but I stopped myself as I saw her hands form into fists. From the book I read I learned that vampires have higher emotions for everything. The slightest thing can set them off.

I don't know why I didn't think of that before I asked Trent my stupid question about mate marks. But I was just so curious that I couldn't wait, as curious as I am now. And what if this girl was a vampire? You could gain color to your skin by drinking blood...maybe that's what she did? And if I did ask her my question and she is a vampire, wouldn't she get offended? Because apparently calling a vampire a human was calling them weak. And I didn't want to get myself in that same predicament like last time.

The girl started to stare daggers at me as I still have not said why I told her to wait.

I thought quickly as I looked down at my lap and saw the eggs, bacon, and apple juice. Why did I get this food anyways? That seemed like a more reasonable question.

"Why did you bring me breakfast?" I prayed that my voice didn't shake.

"I brought you food because those were the prince's orders." I gave a nod of my head. That does sound like something he would do.