"Football is a Man's Sport" My Derriere. {4}

pic of Liz's dad 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 

Speed is not your fastest, but your slowest man. No back can run faster than his interference.  

-Jock Sutherland

Kale's POV:

"I feel so bad though." 

"For the last time, son, it wasn't your fault. Football has risks, and by playing he took them." My dad told my brother. I sighed and got off the sofa. Suddenly tv didn't seem so appealing.

"I'm going for a run." I said.

"Make sure you take your jacket," dad said absentmindedly. I rolled my eyes. He never was paying any attention. It was seventy degrees outside.

I walked out the door into the sunshine and put on a random song, turning it down a little so I could hear what was going on around me. It was a sunny day, everybody seemed to be out and about or in the cool airconditioned stores.

My older brother, Van, and I were both on the East High football team, and about two months ago he had tackled a guy at the championships. I had scored and we had won the game, but the guy Ian had tackled lost the ability to walk. Ian was a good guy, he was genuinely concerned and felt guilty. My dad, on the other hand...my dad was full of crap. He was our coach, and all he cared about was the fact that we had won the game.

I would've quit the team but my gym teacher threatened to fail me, and I would've had to repeat my junior year. I ran faster and let the blood pounding in my ears drown out my thoughts. I felt something slap my shoulder and skidded to a stop, looking over my shoulder. An old man was smiling at me. Okay...

He started talking and I took out my earbuds. ".....like a--"

"Excuse me?"

He took in a patient breath and let it out. "I was saying slow down kid. You were running like you stole something."

I noticed how hard I was breathing and nodded an okay. He tipped his hat and kept walking down the road with his cane. I shook my head and started walking, just looking at my surroundings and thinking about things other than how many different ways I wanted to strangle my father.

I saw something out of the corner of my eye and turned my head. A girl that looked around my age was running faster than I had been, her hair flapping in the air. The only difference between me and her was that she looked at peace. I was not. I stopped walking and just watched her, wishing that I could be like that. Was it stalkerish? Yes. Did I care? No. All I wanted to do was look at her.

Suddenly, there was a screech of tires. I snapped my head toward where the sound was coming from and saw a truck spinning in circles, the driver trying to gain control without much luck. I looked from the car to her and realized that she was gonna be hit. The girl froze in horror and watched the truck come toward her and...

My feet were moving. I pushed myself harder than I ever had in my life and tackled her to the ground, rolling to the side of the road. I heard the car as it skidded past and pulled her out of the way.

"Are you okay?" God, please, don't let her be hurt.

She started crying and without really thinking abotu it I put my arms around her and hugged her, feeling a shock go up my body as I did. I pulled her closer so that she was practically in my lap and heard running footsteps behind me.

"Is she okay," he asked anxoiusly.

"I think so." I hope so. "Honey, you're gonna have to talk to me, are you okay?"

She didn't answer for a minute and I got scared, but then she sniff and answered, "I'm okay." She still had her eyes closed, and when she opened them she did what I expected. She passed out.

"Call an ambulance, please."

"Are you okay?"

"Except for a few scratches I'm fine." I scratched my head. "What was I thinking?"

I jumped in front of a car for a person I didn't even know, desperate to save her. "I've gone insane." I muttered. The guy flipped the phone shut.

"You do crazy things for love."

"I don't even know her."

"Really? It doesn't look like it."

I realized that she was still in my arms and gently but hurridly laid her down, taking off my shirt to lay it under her head. Then I realized what I was doing and stopped, then figured, 'what the heck', and did it anyways. I stood up and put my hands in my pockets and just looked at her. The guy chuckled.

"This doesn't mean a thing." I told him.

"Sure, whatever."

The ambulance came a few minutes later and we were checked out while she was to the hospital because she still hadn't woken up. I rode with them.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

im going to play hide and go seek and my comp has a virus. i'll probably post later bye!!!!