"Football is a Man's Sport" My Derriere. {16}

more Van! Can I get a woot woot?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"So...you're pissed at your dad?"

"Yes." I told him, gritting my teeth.

"And you're sad as well."

"Obviously." I sniffed. He reached into the glove compartment and pulled out some tissues. "And you stole a car?"

That made me smile. I looked at Van. "Not really. The guy kinda threw me his keys."

"You gave him the look, didn't you?"

"Yes."

"Then you stole the car." He laughed. I laughed along with him and took the tissues, blowing my nose. He looked at me for a moment, then said, "I know exactly what to do to cheer you up. Let me drive." I raised an eyebrow but pulled over, getting out while he climbed over the seats.

"Close your eyes."

"You had better not be dragging me off somewhere to kill me. I took self defense last year." I told him, covering my eyes. He breathed a laugh. "I wouldn't want to find out whether you learned a lot or not. I am not going to kill you."

I felt the car being stopped as he parked somewhere and killed the ignition, then got out and shut the door. A minute later mydoor was opened and Van helped me out, putting a hand over my eyes. I didn't even get a peek. HE shut the door for me and stood behind me, guiding me as we were walking. Just to say something, I said, "You stink."

"We both just played football games. I don't think you can talk, Liz."

"I don't smell that bad."

"Yes--watch your step, we're going on a slope--you do actually."

"Great." I said dryly. Just another highlight of my night. He laughed. "Don't worry, I don't mind. We're just a bunch of stinkers." That made me feel a little better. I saw a light shine above me in between the cracks of his fingers, and a guy said, "Van, long time no see!"

"Hey Percy." Van said.

"Who's the pretty lady?"

"Liz. Can we come in?"

"Sure, sure. Your aunt'll be happy to see you. Have a good time."

"We will." He led me inside. I heard the singing of a woman and he whispered in my ear, "Ready?"

"Yes!"

"Okay." He let go of my eyes and I smiled widly. We were in some kind of bar, with tables everywhere and a giant karoke machine and a stage up front. The place was packed, with people drinking and dancing as a guy on the stage rapped. Van led us over to two empty spots by the bar and I pulled myself up, turning around, which was a little difficult because I still had Caleb's jersey on.

I looked around. There were purple and blue spot lights everywhere, and this big, heavy set woman on the stage. She started to talk.

"How are ya'll doing tonight?" Her voice was rich and smooth. Everyone cheered, while she scanned the audience. "We have a few of the regulars here, I see you there, kid. And wait a second--"

She looked directly at Van and a big smile broke out on her face. "There's my nephew! Hey sweetheart!"

Van waved while people cheered. She looked at me. "And who is that?"

"A friend!" Van replied, yelling. She put a hand on her hip, the red sequined dress sparkling in the spotlight. "A friend eh? Hmmrph. You aren't looking at her in a 'friendly' way."

Everybody burst into laughter while Van blushed and my ears heated. She waved a hand. "Alright Van, I'll stop picking on you. Who wants me to sing?"

The crowd roared. She rolled her eyes and smiled, in the natural performer way. "All right, all right, I'll sing. Any requests?"

"James Brown!" A guy yelled. She nodded. "Okay." She walked up to the Dj's stand and whispered something in his ear, then sauntered up to the microphone as the music started. I recognized the song immediatly.

"This is a man's world!" She sang, swaying to the beat as the crowd clapped. "This is a man's world! But it wouldn't be nothing, NOTHING, without a woman or a girl!"

The way she sang, it was like magic. She hit every single note perfectly. A little into the song, Van looked at me. "Do you want to dance?"

"Sure." We both took off the gear underneath our jerseys and I dragged him out onto the floor, joining the other couples who were smoothly dancing. I put my arms around his neck and he pulled me close. I laughed a little.

"What?" He asked as we swayed.

I smiled and put my head in the crook of his neck. "I never realized how tall you were. And that you smell like grass."

He put his head against my hair and we swayed until the song was over. He kissed the top of my head and we pulled apart, clapping and looking at his aunt, who curtsied and dabbed at her forehead, grinning widely.

"So, are you feeling better?"

"Loads, thanks. You want me to drop you home?"

"Naw, I'll walk," he said sarcastically. I laughed a little and turned the car around, heading for his house. When I got there, I parked and looked at him. "Thanks. For being there."

"No problem." He hugged me and pulled back, looking into my eyes with an unfathomable expression. I stopped breathing. He leaned closer and closer and I closed my eyes and...

Knockknockknockknock.

Van sighed and opened the door, while Kale waved. He looked satisfied. Van pushed him roughly out of the way and poked his head back into the car. "I'll see you later." He said, brushing his lips across my cheek. I smiled and Kale shut the door. I watched them go into the house.

~He was going to kiss you.~

~Who are you?~

~The little cricket in your head. But he was going to kiss you.~

Did I want him to? I had no idea. I restarted the car and drove home, my stomach in knots as I thought about my dad. It was one o' clock in the morning. He was gonna kill me. I parked Ryan's truck in the driveway and killed the headlights, then got out and twirled the keys in my hand. I didn't have any pockets.

Before I even made it to the steps the door opened. My dad stood there, expressionless. We just looked at each other. Finally he a asked in a leveled voice, "Do you have any idea what time it is?"

"Yes."

"Your mother was worried. We were all worried."

"You didn't have to be," I replied. We stared at each toehr with the Kane look, refusinf to look away until my mother shoved him out of the way and hugged me. "Don't you ever do that to me again, do you hear me Elizabeth!?!"

"Yes ma'm."

I headed upstairs to my room, changed into some pajamas, and fell into bed, instantly going into a deep sleep.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~