"Football is a Man's Sport" My Derriere. {13}

It had been not days, but weeks. THREE WEEKS to be exact, since I had last talked to Kale. He always seemed to be busy for some reason, and I was inches from driving to his house and beating him to a pulp until he told me what the heck was going on. We had a game in a week, and to top it all off, my father was trying to kill me. I told Gabe this, but he just laughed and said, "He's not trying to kill you Liz, he's just trying to get you to quit."

Which was so much more swell.

I was at practice right now, sweating like a over-perspirating pig. We were going through a few endurance drills to make sure that we weren't dragging our butts across the field during our first game. I was on my twentieth push up when I felt a very familiar, dreaded feeling in my gut. I stood up and rushed to my dad.

"Dad?"

"Why are you up?"

"I have to go to the bathroom. It's an emergency."

"It's always an emergency, kid. You can hold it."

"No dad, you don't understand. It's an EMERGENCY."

"I don't care, Elizabeth, you know my rules."

"Dad. Aunt Flow is in the building."

"You can throw up in the bushes."

"Dad. It's not that kind of flow. It's the other kind."

"What other kind?"

"The female kind."

"There is no female kind of throw up, Elizabeth." He was seriously clueless. This wasn't just another plan to ruin me.

"You have an extra fifty for plying with me, Liz. Now go before I have to bench you."

"Dad! I am on my period!"

I noticed that it had gotten very quiet. I slowly turned and found the entire football team's attention on us. My dad said in a slightly uneven voice. "Go do what you have to do."

I was mortified. I jogged away from practice quickly, my ears on fire. Penelope was in an afternoon meeting for the school nespaper, so I went into the school and knocked on the door of the place where they met. It was answered by a guy who looked a little startled. I crossed my legs legs a waved a little.

"Hi. Can I speak to Penelope for a minute?" He nodded and called Penelope over his shoulder. A moment later her head popped into view. "Liz? What can I do for you." I stepped forward and whispered in her ear. She didn't bat an eye, heading straight for her locker.

"Julian, keep the meeting running, there's something I have to do right quick." She said without looking back.

She took my hand and walked to her locker, pulling me along while I had my face in my hands.

"What happened Liz?"

"I practically yelled that I gotten my period in front of the entire football team." I groaned. She winced and gave me a sympathetic look.

"You poor thing."

"I wanted to die."

"I would've wanted to too." She did her combination lock and when it was open, quickly went through her bag and produced the small package. "Here ya go."