"Football is a Man's Sport" My Derriere. {11}

"I feel like I'm the best, but you're not going to get me to say that."

--Jerry Rice

The next morning, when I opened the doors to my school everyone stopped talking. Some people gave me openly hostile looks and others were giving me looks of admiration. I speed walked over to the bulliten board, pushing people to the side, and then...

There it was.

The list. I crossed my fingers and leaned closer, practically pressing my nose across the glass, looking for my name.

Alejandro Rodriguez--Center

Jackson Harrison--Wide Reciever

Elizabeth Kane--Halfback

"YES! OH MY GOSH I DID IT!" I yelled. I threw my arms around the nearest stranger, jumping up and down. I stopped and grabbed him by his shoulders. "I made it kid! I'm the halfback on the football team!" I jumped up and down and noticed that it was the Spanish kid from yesterday. "And hey! You're on the team too! Congrats!" He was new to this school.

He smiled. Like 'did you forget to take your pill today?'. "I know. And thanks. Congrats to you too."

"Thanks!" I hugged him again and walked out of the crowd, smiling. Tyler gave me a dirty look. "Oh shut up."

"You're just mad." I said, sticking my tongue at him. He stuck his tongue out back at me and I rolled my eyes. "Whatever. Give me your phone."

"For what?" He asked.

"I need to call Van!"

"Oh, him." He gave me the phone. "Hurry up, class is about to start."

"Kay." I went into the girls' bathroom and stood on the toilet, searching for his name in the contacts. I found it and pushed the little green button. It rang three times before he picked up. "What's up Ty?"

"Van! It's me, Elizabeth!"

"Lizzy?"

"Yes! Guess what?"

"What?" He asked in an equally excited voice.

"I made the team!"

"That's great, honey. Good for you. I'll be over afterschool to bring some cake."

"Make sure you tell Kale!"

"I promise I will."

"Okay bye!"

"Bye!" I pushed the little red button and the stall door flew open. Penelope was standing, hands balled into fists at her sides. I waved. "Oh, hey Penelope."

"YOU TRIED OUT FOR THE FOOTBALL TEAM AND YOU DIDN'T TELL ME!?!"

"Um, well, you see, about that," I stammered. She glared at me. "It was supposed to be a secret." I said quickly.

"But I'm your best friend!" She wailed. "You could have told me!"

"Gabe told me not tell anyone so that my dad couldn't flat our reject me."

"So what happened?"

The bell rang and I groaned. "I'll tell you later, Pen. Right now we need to get to class."

We hurried out the door and ran to our first class. Mrs.Dobbs [a/n: get it? Mrs.Dobbs? You know, from Percy Jackson? Oh whatever], our teacher, frowned at us. "Ladies, you're late."

"I know, I'm sorry. We just got a little lost."

"It's the second day of school, so I'll let you off. But don't let it happen again."