"Football is a Man's Sport" My Derriere. {15}

"You have to play this game like somebody just hit your mother with a two-by-four."

-Dan Birdwell

"All football players, please follow Mr.Kennedy." About three guys and me stood up, heading to the front of the classroom. The teacher looked at me from beneath her spectacles. "Where do you think you're going Ms.Kane?"

"I'm on the football team." I said patiently. Mrs.Knox was always the last to find out about something she blinked. "Since when?"

"Since she made the team." Mike vouched for me. She nodded slowly. "Okay then, if you say so. But I WILL be checking in with your father later. Go ahead."

We walked out of the classroom together, following Harr. He was the water/errand boy, so to speak. We were led to the guys lockeroom, where my dad and Coach T were handing out the new uniforms.

"The new-uniform smell isn't going to last, so enjoy it while you can." He said, throwing me a bag. I smirked at him and went to the girls' lockeroom to put it on. Chest pads, shoulder pads, knee pads, cleats...

I eventually finished and nervously looked in the mirror, holding my helmet in my hand. I was number thirteen. And even though I looked way bulgier than I normally was, I actually looked...not half bad.

I walked out of the bathroom, heading out onto the field. The guys all looked up when I came, probably wondering what I looked like. I walked up to the group and shifted a little. "Well?"

"It suits you." Ryan said. I smiled and put my helmet down, sitting down to begin stretches.

Let's do this.

"All right people, gather up in the lockerooms." My dad said. We all stood up. I avoided looking at the bleachers. I might've thrown up. They were filled with people, most of them waiting for me to make the teeniest mistake so that they could talk to my dad and get me kicked off or benched. Which sucked, really.

We headed to the guys locker room and sat on the benches. My dad clapeed, rubbing his hands together.

"Okay, it's the first game, and there's no pressure." Wrong. "But we want to make a good first impression right? RIGHT?!"

"RIGHT SIR!" We all yelled.

"Godd! Now, I want you guys to put your hearts out there, give them all you got. If you just do that...we'll win this. Okay?"

"YES SIR!"

"Good! Now let's get out there and show them what we're made of!"

"YEAH!" We all jumped up and started running out. I saw my dad grab Ty's shoulder and hold him back, but thought nothing of it. "Liz, don't forget your helmet!" Someone, I think Fred yelled. I checked and sure enough, I didn't have it. "I think I left it on the bench in the lockeroom." I told Caleb. He nodded. "I'll come with you to go get it."

"Thanks." We quietly walked back to the room, trying not to let my dad hear us. I spotted it and walked forward to go and get it, but was yanked back by Caleb.

"He's standing right there." He hissed. I looked and my dad was rounding the corner, talking to my brother in a semi-quiet voice. I strained to hear them.

"--agreement, Tyler. Don't pass the ball to her."

"But dad, I'm pretty sure she won't get hurt."

"I'm not taking that chance. Pass the ball to anyone else but her. Got it?"

"Fine. But she's not gonna like it."

"This agreement is between me and you, so she won't find out." He clapped him on the shoulder. "It'll be worth it, son. There's still a chance that we'll win."