Chapter One

Present Time
Age Seventeen

"Mama used to say there's only two types of people in Gatlin, the ones too stupid to leave and the ones too stuck to move." -Beautiful Creatures (the movie)

"And our rivals get another point." I mumble under my breath.

Our school softball team is losing tremendously and our captain isn't doing anything about it. She's too busy trying to impress the baseball boys and isn't even paying attention to the game. I groan and bang the back of my softball helmet against the wired fence.

"Come on, chica. It's our last softball game. What harm can it do?"

I glance at my best friend, Haze, to only give her my stink eye look.

"I haven't played in a single game for the whole season unlike some Spanish girl on our team who is sitting to the left of me."

"I am not completely Spanish and I have only played twice for the whole season."

I crack a smile and give my attention back to our game. Seriously? I can play softball. It isn't that hard if you just practice when you have the time. I have been playing softball for I don't know how many years. When I was younger, I would usually be in the game but ever since Bianca has been captain she won't let me play. I personally think it's because she thinks I'm a threat to her, but then my stupid best friend suggests that she probably doesn't enjoy my company.

"Same difference, Haze." I whined when she suggested the idea.

"Come on, you just don't like it when I'm right." Haze smirked and I rolled my eyes.

"Timeout!" Everyone from our team surrounds coach.

Coach groans and places her clip board on her hip.

"Ladies, what the hell is going on out there?" Demands coach. "Every single one of you is lagging and it's making our team not get any points. Just because I might be older than you doesn't mean I live under a rock. Stop flirting with the baseball boys and get your head out of your asses. Now, explain what is happening."

Some of the players give their opinion and coach nods her head while listening. Not really seeing the need to pay attention, I glance at the score board. I see our short time of a time out coming to an end and I gently elbow Haze under her rib cage.

"One minute." I whisper to her.
Haze shifts her head to the score board and her eyes widen in recognition.
"Coach, there is only one more minute." Says Haze.

"Thank you, Haze. Okay, I want my regulars out there but I'm changing it up for the time. Mackenzie, you're batter." Coach lifts her head and looks at me dead in the eyes. With a nod of her head she keeps on talking.

I want to scream in excitement and hit Bianca with my bat just for the fun of it! I feel Haze pinch my forearm and that's when I know to dial it down some. I guess she can sense my excitement.

"Count on three, one, two, three!"
"Play hard!" We all exclaim.

I turn to Haze and she smiles wide at my growing smile.

"You got this MC. Just like practice."
I nod my head and grab my trust worthy bat. Just like practice. This isn't hard unless you practice when you have the time. You got this. Don't look at the crowds. Damn it, I looked at crowds. All the way from the stands I hear my aunt and uncle cheering louder than anyone else.

"Yeah, that's my niece! You got this Mackenzie!"

"Look Ashton, it's your number twin."
Hearing that comment makes me slightly blush. Of course I would have the same number as Ashton Lotest. The number fourteen can be a famous number during baseball season and it's not because I wear the number also. My palms start to sweat and I wipe them down on my thighs. Not that hard. It's just the last game. No strikes. Try for a home run. I get in batter position and the pitcher smirks at my small frame. Seriously?! Just because I'm small doesn't mean I can't do anything! I watch the ball move in the pitcher's bare hand. Suddenly, the pitcher bends her back and throws the ball. My body and mind know exactly what to do. With a swing of my arm, I hit the softball with as much power as I can muster. I drop my bat and a start a run to first base. I glance up to see where the ball is and smile when people look behind the wired fence.