Chapter Twenty-two

"I bet not even all the fireworks in the world can up my world like you do."

We begin packing everything up. Not exactly all of us, but pretty much Ashton and I start the packing. Haze went off to make a call, even though the reception probably won't go through, and Carter is sitting in his camping chair with a pout on his face. You most likely are able to guess why. Haze still hasn't talked to Carter, visa versa.

The tension is thick and it seems as if Ashton and I are picking sides. I get a glare from Haze whenever I talk to Carter, and Carter gives Ashton a punch in the arm whenever he helps out Haze. See what I mean? I hate picking sides. But, if I had to then it wouldn't be Carter or Haze. It'd be Ashton. One: because he isn't involved with the Carter and Haze no-talking-time, and two: he's Ashton.

I can see from both sides though. Throwing someone's phone deep into a lake isn't very funny, especially if it can be their life line. Cutting their hair at an ugly length isn't the best way to get back at them either. This is all a jumbled mess, and I'm ready to go home.

"Do you think they'll say something to each other on the way home?" Ashton asks me as we roll the different sleeping bags together. I raise an eyebrow while wrapping the elastic around the blue sleeping bag. I quickly fix my blonde curls into a tighter ponytail. Ashton watches me closely.

"Maybe. Does saying something rude count?" I ask playfully.

Ashton chuckles and pushes himself off his knees as he stands. "Probably not." Carter scoffs loudly. We turn to face him. When he doesn't say anything, I raise my hands in confusion. "What are you fussing over?" I ask him rudely.

"You guys are talking about me as if I'm not here sitting beside you."

I give my brown eyes a dramatic roll. Seriously? I put my hands on my hips. "Fine then! Carter, will you be acknowledging Haze as we go back to Arkansas?" I snap at him.

"No," He says simply. "Unless she acknowledges me."

Ashton mumbles something under his breath before kicking the chair Carter is still sitting in. "Man, get up so we can finish packing."

Finally, Carter helps us pack up. When Haze comes back from her call, she has a smirk on her face. It's depressing really. I've gotten so used to seeing her long hair in different hairstyles that it shocks me whenever I see her black hair in a simple, boring ponytail.

I grunt softly as I lift my back pack. Once I get use to the heavy weight on my back and shoulders, I cock my head and look at Haze.

"What are you smirking about?" I ask her.

There's a glint in her eyes. The kind I know from experience that something's going to happen, and I won't like it.

"Oh, nothing really." She says dramatically.

Haze puts her back pack on also. Carter walks up beside Haze. She sneers her nose up in disgust at him.

"I see you have finally came to help pack," He looks around at the empty camp ground. "But wait, we already did all the work!"

Haze locks her jaw and her hands tighten on the hold of the pack's strap. Here we go.

"I'm sorry," Haze snaps with anger. "I had this thing called Making an Appointment Because My Hair is Completely Gone." Carter flinches gently.

I glance at Ashton with panicked eyes. He latches on to my hand as we beginning walking back to the parking lot. Carter and Haze follow behind. Maybe that isn't a good thing.