CHAPTER TWELVE

Vál let out a huff as sat down on the ground by the small fire they had created

Vál let out a huff as sat down on the ground by the small fire they had created. Björn was already sitting down opposite her and his eyes were glued to the fire. They had walked for hours after leaving Hedeby behind. After their little commotion they had continued to walk, only small talking but nothing more than that. It was in situations like that both of them realized how little they knew about each other, they couldn't walk around and talk about what they had been through together few years from the present day. Both of them didn't knew how far they could take some jokes, if they got any. However they could get to know each other yet they were too focused on the road back. Her stomach rumbled slightly and her eyes started to roam around the forest.

"We can part ways and look for a smaller stream or so. If we're lucky we might stumble upon a larger animal," Björn said and looked at her. Vál only nodded before getting onto her feet again, as did Björn. Without saying anything she started to walk away, the little amount of snow lit everything up a little and tracking animals would be easy. "Don't walk to far away, keep the fire in sight!" Björn yelled and she only hummed to herself as she continued to walk. She could only keep her fingers crossed when it came to finding animals now when Björn's yelling could have scared them away.

Björn walked in the opposite direction as she took her bow and an arrow, preparing to strike any second. She stopped in her tracks after walking for a while, she peaked over her shoulder and could see the fire far away. She started to listen carefully for any sound, and even scrunched her eyes when she could hear a faint sound of rippling water. She started to follow the sound and soon she stumbled upon a small stream with a smaller lake. She aimed in the water, hoping to catch a fish. She released the bow before stepping in the water to grab it. She let out a breath as she smiled when she almost missed the fish, the arrow had only hit its tail. It started to wiggle in her hand so she took her dagger and killed it before throwing it on the land before aiming another arrow into the water. She cursed when she didn't caught another one.

Björn had given up, he walked back towards the fireplace with one hand resting on his sword. Suddenly a loud scream filled his ears and he quickly picked up his pace and ran towards the sound. There was another scream and all he could hear when it got quiet were the sound of his blood pumping and heart beating.

"Vál!" He screamed as he got closer, however the screams had disappeared. He stopped when he stood by a stream yet he couldn't see Vál anywhere as he looked around. "Vál!?" He quickly turned around when he heard a giggle. Björn let out a snort when he saw her standing there with a big smile on her face and hands behind her back.

"I didn't know you actually cared that much." She smiled as he shot daggers at her. "Yet it still seems like you doubt my skills." She mumbled when she stopped laughing.

"Stop messing around. You could've been outnumbered." He said before crossing his arms over his chest. "Did you at least find something?" He snapped and she showed him two fishes she hid behind her back. A proud smile spread across her lips and he only shook his head before walking back to the fire, making sure his shoulder bumped into hers as he passed. Vál only let out a sigh before following him.