CHAPTER FIFTY

Vál sat next to Björn in the great hall by the main table

Vál sat next to Björn in the great hall by the main table. A few days had passed and it was the night before her fight against Vidar. The past days she had been completely engulfed in Vidar and his brothers. She had laughed a lot at their jokes and stories but she had also gotten more interested in her actual life. The room was filled with people who ate and enjoyed the night. Vidar and Ulvar sat by the table as Floki sat with their brothers, laughing at something. Björn for once sat relaxed next Vál, talking with Harald about raids as Vál listened to Hvitserk as he talked about how he wanted to go fishing since he was a great fisher which Ubbe didn't agree with.

Björn kept looking at Vál in the corner of his eyes, seeing how she stuffed her face with food and occasionally getting some left overs in the corner of her mouth which made him smile. He also smiled at the fact how good she was with his brothers, she had always been kind and motherly towards the young Sons of Ragnar which he appreciated. It was one of the things that made him admire her, that and her personality. It was noticeable how Björn's eyes shone when he looked at Vál however Vál didn't seem to notice the shimmering blue in his eyes.

"How many fish have you caught?" Vál asked and Hvitserk got quiet, counting in his head.

"More than ten!" He said proudly and her eyes widen as she smiled.

"More than ten?! That's very impressive Hvitserk!" She said and Hvitserk smiled proudly. "Have you caught any Ubbe? Sigurd?" She asked and looked at the other brothers. Sigurd nodded and held up one finger and she smiled before reaching to ruffle his hair causing him to giggle.

"I've caught twenty I think." Ubbe said and Vál laughed when Hvitserk snorted.

"You have not!" Hvitserk argued and Ubbe glared at his brother. Vál ruffled his hair before reaching for her cup.

"Have you caught any fish?" Sigurd asked her and she nodded as she placed her cup back down.

"Oh I've caught a lot of fish." She began. "One time after I caught had caught a few an arctic fox appeared and stole them from me. It even took the one I held in my hand and you know where it took my fish?" She asked and they shook their head with wide eyes.

"Where?" Sigurd asked and she smiled as she looked at him.

"It ran so quick up it the mountains to its home where it had four small fox babies." She said and Sigurd giggled. "Four small fluffy cubs but then it saw that I had followed it to its home!" She continued, adding to the story. Hvitserk's eyes widen as Sigurd placed his hands over his mouth.

"What did it do?" Ubbe asked.

"It ran after me, chasing me down the hill before I fell into the icy cold water!" She said and they chuckled. She continued to talk with the younger Sons of Ragnar before Floki asked if they wanted to play some games which got them all squealing in pure joy as they ran after him.

"You're good with them." Björn said and she smiled at him as she took a gulp of mead. Servants kept filling their cups, mead flowing through everyones systems a few hours in. Vál felt at ease, her nausea had gone out the door, still standing in the alley as she enjoyed her night with everyone. The mead had gotten everyone by the main table relaxed around the new addition to the village. Ulvar telling stories that Halfdan seemed very intrigued by, probably enjoying the violence in them. Aslaug seemed intrigued by Vidar who had talked with her almost all night. Ragnar kept listening, talking with Vidar occasionally but simply enjoying the calm night. His eyes also moving onto Vál and Björn who seemed very relaxed in each others presence with pleased him. Vál rested her head against Björn's shoulder as she never let go of the cup in her hands and Björn's hands gripped her thigh and his cup of mead.