CHAPTER SEVENTEEN

Vál's breathing was still rugged as she hovered over Rollo

Vál's breathing was still rugged as she hovered over Rollo. She could feel the irritation oozing from his body, probably didn't think he would've had lost to the young girl. He liked strong women, women who could fight yet he hadn't been as fascinated of her father, Thyr as everyone else when he joined them on raids. Rollo knew they were skilled killers, but his brother had been very fascinated about her father and allowed Thyr to lead a group himself after only a short amount of time in Ragnar's presence. It was back when Rollo didn't got the chance to show that it wasn't just about Ragnar Lothbrok. Rollo had underestimated the woman above him since she probably hadn't gotten training or been out on a raid and still managed to literally kick his ass.

His eyes widen when she held her hand out for her to take, to help him up on his feet. The masses of people around them watched with wide eyes as Rollo debated if he should come up with another excuse that she shouldn't join them. However he would be in charge, he wouldn't let her take charge of anyone during the raid. Rollo took a firm grip of her hand before she pulled him up. 

People cheered as a pleased smile spread across the young woman's lips. Ubbe and Hvitserk ran up to her with eyes wide in admiration and smiles covering their lips. Vál patted them on the head and saw Rollo brush of the dust on his back as he walked towards the great hall, ignoring the looks from Ragnar and the Norwegian brothers. Björn walked over to her, still angry for not obeying him but also just as amazed as the rest of the people surrounding them. Vál smiled as him before wrapping her sword from the ground, wiping the blade before placing it where it belong, on her back with the other.

"What do you say?" She said, still smiling at Björn. Björn only shook his head as he tried to be angry and stop the smile from spreading across his lips.

"You're insane. Completely and utterly insane," Björn said and she chuckled. Vál looked behind Björn and saw the glare she got from Aslaug. The Queen clenched her jaw but kept a neutral expression then she turned to give Ragnar the same glare before walking back to the great hall, practically dragging Sigurd with her. Ragnar only rolled his eyes before leaving, giving Vál a nod before walking away.

"You have to teach us Vál, how to be that good!" Hvitserk exclaimed with a wide smile. Vál nodded as she smiled at the young boys. The audience had slowly started to walk away, kids started to play again, the market got filled again and animals had to be taken care off.

"Of course Hvitserk, what about right now?" Vál asked even if she could feel like Björn wanted to be with her alone yet he didn't say anything. Hvitserk and Ubbe's eyes widen in happiness as they nodded. They ran too get their swords and Vál looked at Björn, giving him her full attention for the first time since they woke up this morning. Now he looked even more angry, an angry frown visible between his brow. He took a firm grip of her shoulder, to keep her in place.

"I told you not to do anything stupid," He growled angrily and she rolled her eyes and pulled away from his strong grip.

"I didn't do anything stupid. He wanted me to prove myself worthy of joining you on raid and to send two shaking Frankish soldiers my way isn't going to make me prove my ability." She answered him and he only rolled his eyes.