CHAPTER FOURTEEN

They turned to look as who was clapping their hands, Ragnar and Björn stood their with amused smiles on their faces

They turned to look as who was clapping their hands, Ragnar and Björn stood their with amused smiles on their faces. Vál got onto her feet and removed the sand from her hands and ass. Björn only raised his brow as their eyes met. Vál only shook her head as Hvitserk and Ubbe stood there proud when their big brother and father walked up to them.

"Getting beaten by ten year olds I see," Björn teased and she only hit his arm with a smile on her face.

"Of course, I can't completely demolish their self-esteem," She said and looked at the boys who eagerly talked to their father. Vál looked slightly behind Ragnar and saw Sigurd still practicing on his sword grip. She couldn't help but to chuckle.

"Sigurd, you can stop that now!" She said as she chuckled slightly. "Come here and show what you can do," She continued and Sigurd looked at her with big eyes before nodding. He took his sword and walked over, dragging it in the ground, creating a line in the ground. When he stod before them all he took his grip on the sword and held it upright with a proud smile on his face.

"Look at that Sigurd!" Björn exclaimed and his younger brothers cheered him on as well. Ragnar patted him on the back with a proud smile on his face.

"Vál taught me," Sigurd said with a big smile on his face, looking up at Björn and his father. Vál smiled at the youngest son of Ragnar as the father himself had a pleased smile on his face as he looked at the new, young woman. Ragnar found her intriguing, he had so many questions to ask, he wanted to see everything she was capable of doing and especially after speaking to his son. When they had talked about a future raid Björn had tried to persuade him to bring Vál along. When Ragnar looked at the young woman he didn't doubt his son, Vál reminded him very much of Lagertha.

"Sigurd, come here!" A stern voice said from behind. Vál looked over Björn's shoulder only to see Aslaug standing there with her arms crossed over her chest. Ragnar only scratched the back of his head as he looked at his youngest son run to his mother without a sword. Vál frowned when Ragnar didn't say anything, Sigurd was his son and had the same right to fight as the rest. The sooner he learnt the better he would get.

Vál looked at Aslaug who gave her a stern look as she placed a hand on her sons shoulder. Vál hadn't even talked to the woman and she already despised her. She liked Lagertha much more, she seemed like she had more in common with Lagertha than with Aslaug. Björn had talked about Aslaug up in the mountains one night, he had told her that Aslaug had said she was the daughter of Brynhildr, a great shield maiden and the dragon slayer Sigurd. Nothing about Aslaug could convince Vál that the woman she was currently shooting daggers at had warrior parents. They must be disappointed, Vál thought. Even if she had married and had three children with the legendary Ragnar Lothbrok she seemed rather useless. She seemed like a woman who used her power unwisely and gladly used it for her on selfish needs. Aslaug didn't seem like the woman to grab a sword and get stained in battle blood. Vál clenched her jaw before forcing a smile to Aslaug who forced one in return before walking towards the great hall with Sigurd. Vál fought with every fiber in her body not to snort.