CHAPTER NINETEEN

Lagertha had returned to Kattegat

Lagertha had returned to Kattegat. However she didn't return by herself, Kalf and Erlendur had also joined her together with hundred men in the chilly night in Kattegat. A smile was prominent on the mothers lips as she looked at her son. Quickly getting of the now rather tired brown horse, to greet her only son. People around had stopped panicking as they saw who had decided to visit, that there wasn't a threat to their own safety and slowly returned to their homes.

As Björn pulled away from his mother their eyes met. His eyes slowly moved to look at Kalf and Erlendur who stood behind her with neutral expressions. Björn clenched his jaw slightly before looking back at his mother who seemed to look around.

"Where is she?" Lagertha asked and Björn remained silent. "Vál hasn't left you hasn't she?" She continued and Björn raised a brow at his mother.

"She's around mother, but why are you so certain she would've left me and not the other way around?" Björn questioned as the rest got ready to settle down. However Kalf and Erlendur remained behind Lagertha, observing Björn.

"Because I see the way you look at her." Lagertha smiled and Björn only rolled his eyes before motioning for them to walk back to the great hall. Lagertha hooked her arms with her son as they walked back, memories filled her mind as she walked down the paths of her home. She was thankful she didn't had the chance to face Aslaug yet, it mended her broken heart that she still could imagine that she was the rightful Queen with her King by her side and son.

"There's food for you here, I can only imagine how hungry you and all your men are." Björn said and nodded towards the tables with food. Lagertha smiled approvingly as her men walked inside, joining the others, almost immediately starting conversations. Ragnar walked inside and Lagertha excused herself before walking up to him.

"We were worried that the berserker girl had killed you before you reached Kattegat." Kalf spoke from behind Björn, causing him to turn to face him. Erlendur stood beside him before he noticed a servant he quickly followed. Kalf had barely walked inside but had gotten a filled cup of mead placed in his hands.

"You're talking about Vál? She wouldn't kill me, seems like you have a problem with reading people." Björn said as he motioned for a servant to give him a cup to drink. Kalf smiled as he took a few steps forward.

"My ability of reading people is nothing to be concerned about Björn. I know who she is and who she belongs to which is exactly why the thought struck my mind." Kalf answered and Björn snorted. "Don't tell me you've been so blinded by her striking beauty and too focused on how turned on she gets you that you've forgotten that she's more lethal then all these men in the room. That's what I call problems with reading people." Kalf continued.

"Are you worried for my safety Kalf?" Björn raised a brow. Kalf opened his mouth to speak when Lagertha walked towards them so he only smiled at Björn.

"Let me just tell you how happy I am that you're alive and well." Kalf said and Lagertha smiled at both of them. Kalf gave them a nod before walking away. Lagertha didn't bother to question anything even if she could feel how tense her son was.